1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Given Epsilon > 0, come up with a delta? Limit problem.

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    • Member warned about not using the homework template
    Lim as x approaches 4 of 1/x = 1/4

Given epsilon > 0, come up with a delta, d?

Limits have been introduced. So far my instructor has had us make tables to see what value x was approaching. Although I don't understand exactly how limits are EVALUATED (different from looking at a chart & saying "yeah, it looks like it's approaching 4 or whatever", it's pretty clear & makes intuitive sense.

Anyways, I've never seen a problem like this before.

Can someone please walk me through this. I have no idea where to start. The limit has already been solved...

epsilon is any small number, right?

And delta is simply a difference?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You appear to be in an early stage of a mathematical analysis course: ##\forall \epsilon > 0 \ \ \ \exists \delta ... \ \ ## such that ... etc.

So it comes down to correct wording and putting the explicit definition to work explicitly.
    For assistance with that, a literal rendering of the problem statement and of the relevant definition is useful (to say the least).

For that purpose we have a homework template, which might help you get started. I don't know if you've seen it come by ? (it's in bold face, so I suspect a yes here).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted