1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Delta Given Epsilon with a Quadratic Function

1. Jul 13, 2017 #1
    • Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Help Template is shown
    Hey, everyone! I'm helping a friend through his calculus course and we've come across something that has stumped me (see: the title). When I learned calculus, our treatment of the epsilon-delta definition of the limit was, at best, brief. Anyway, here is the problem:

Given ##\lim_{x \rightarrow 3} (x^2 -2) = 7## and ##\epsilon = 0.2##,
    find ##\delta## such that for all ##x, \quad## ##0<|x-3|<\delta \implies |x^2 - 9| < 0.2##.

Here is my work so far:

$$0 < |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x^2 - 9| < 0.2$$
    $$0< |x-3| < \delta \quad, \quad |x+3||x-3| < 0.2$$
    $$0 < |x-3| <\delta \quad, \quad |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}$$

...And there is where I get lost. I've found a connection between the absolute value expressions, but I can't find any way to make progress from there. I'm sure this is the wrong approach for any problems of this form where ##f(x)## has a degree ##>1##, so any help is greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2017 #2

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would not do this: |x+3||x-3|, you really only need the absolute value of the whole thing. But I would look at cases.
    So for the case when x² ≥ 9, then |x² - 9| < 0.2 is the same as just (x² - 9) < 0.2
    Then for the case when x² < 9, then |x² - 9| is the same as (x² - 9) > -0.2

That should make it easier than having two factors with absolute values, and dividing by absolute values, etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  4. Jul 13, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed for Moderation.

5. Jul 13, 2017 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread moved to the schoolwork forums and re-opened. @Cosmophile -- please check your PMs.

6. Jul 14, 2017 #5

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks, I fixed it.

7. Jul 14, 2017 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good.

By the way: Congrats on becoming an official Homework Helper !

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  8. Jul 15, 2017 #7

scottdave

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thank You.
    Thank You. I'm honored.

9. Jul 15, 2017 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The method suggested by @scottdave can get you the maximum value that can be used for ##\ \delta \, ##, but that's not the usual method used in a proof for the case where ε has an arbitrary value.

You have ##\displaystyle \ |x+3||x-3| < 0.2\,,\ ## giving ##\displaystyle \ |x-3| < \frac{0.2}{|x+3|}\ .\ ## So, if you can find some "upper bound" on ##\ | x+3|\,,\ ## then you can find a value for ##\ \delta\,.##

Certainly, we must have ##\ \delta < 1\ .## That implies that x is between 2 and 4 and thus ##\ | x+3|\ ## must be between 5 and 7.

Use this information to find a value for ##\ \delta\,.##

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted