Understanding Charge Distribution in Touched Metal Spheres

• Thread starter thursdaytbs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
Your reasoning is correct. In summary, when identical metal spheres A, B, and C are touched together and then separated, the resulting charges are A=+2q, B=+2q, C=0q. Then, when C is touched to A and separated, the charges become A=+1q, B=+2q, C=+1q. Finally, when C is touched to B and separated, the charges become A=+1q, B=+1.5q, C=+1.5q. Therefore, the answers to the questions are (a) +1.5q, (b) +4q, and (c) +4q. This is because two
thursdaytbs
The question goes as follows:

Consider three identical metal spheres, A, B, and C. Sphere A carries a charge of +5q. Sphere B carries a charge of -q. Sphere C carries no net charge. Spheres A and B are touched together and then seperated. Sphere C is then touched to sphere A and separated from it. Lastly, sphere C is touched to sphere B and separated from it. (a) How much charge ends up on sphere C? What is the total charge on the three spheres (b) before they are allowed to touch each other and (c) after they have touched?

The correct answers are:
(a) +1.5q
(b) +4q
(c) +4q

Although, my logic doesn't seem to give me these answers, I was wondering if anyone can explain why and how to approach this problem.

My logic goes as follows:
Sphere A = +5q
Sphere B = -q
Sphere C = 0

"Spheres A and B are touched together and then seperated. " Resulting in Sphere A = +4q, Sphere B = 0, Sphere C = 0

"Sphere C is then touched to sphere A and separated from it." Resulting in Sphere A = 0, Sphere B = 0, Sphere C = +4q

"Lastly, sphere C is touched to sphere B and separated from it." Resulting in Sphere A = 0, Sphere B = +4q, Sphere C = 0

Anyway, we just began this chapter and my understanding of it is extremely minimal so that's why I'm probablly going about it extremely wrong. Just wondering if anyone could help me out and explain how it works?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: Since the spheres are conductors then two spheres that have been brought into contact with each other must be at the same potential.

Thanks for the response.
Ohh okay, so after

A and B are touched, it becomes: A=+2q, B=+2q, C=0q
then C and A touch, becoming: A=+1q, B=+2q, C=+1q
then C and B touch, resulting: A=+1q, B=+1.5q, C=+1.5q

Is that how it should be done?

The answers to question b) and c) are simple to get as the total charge must conserve.However,your reasoning for the first question is defectuos.
A-B:A intially +4q,B initially -q.Think of it in terms of particles with positive charge and negative charge (electrons and postirons).On A there are 4 particles with positive charge and on B there is one particle with negative charge.When these 2 are put into contact,there is a flow of the particles.Let's assume the positive particles start to move.Leaves the first and annihilates with the negative particle already on B.Now on B the charge is 0.The system still isn't in equilibrium.Leaves the second.On B the charge is zero,therefore it will go there very easily.The second one goes there as well.It will equilibrium when the 2 spheres will have the same charge.Namely +2q.The charge flow will happen as long as there is nonequlilibrium in the charge quantity.So,when the 2 charged bodies enter into contact,the electric current will tend to restablish the equilibrium.

Consider the same logics for the other 2 interactions and u'll end up with 1.5q on both C and B.

Daniel.

PS.I'm sorry,i'm used to explining this in much more complicated terms.That's why i seemed to be a little sluggish. :redface:

thursdaytbs,

Way to go!

1. What is the difference between giving and receiving electrons?

The difference between giving and receiving electrons lies in the overall charge of the atoms or molecules involved. Giving electrons involves the transfer of electrons from one atom or molecule to another, resulting in the loss of electrons and a net positive charge. Receiving electrons, on the other hand, involves the acceptance of electrons and a net negative charge.

2. How does the process of giving or receiving electrons affect the stability of an atom or molecule?

The process of giving or receiving electrons can greatly affect the stability of an atom or molecule. Atoms or molecules with a full outer electron shell tend to be more stable, and giving or receiving electrons can help achieve this stability. For example, atoms with one or two valence electrons may give them away to other atoms to achieve a full outer electron shell.

3. What is the role of valence electrons in the process of giving or receiving electrons?

Valence electrons, or the electrons in the outermost energy level of an atom, play a crucial role in the process of giving or receiving electrons. These electrons are involved in chemical bonding and can be transferred or shared between atoms to form stable compounds. The number of valence electrons an atom has determines its reactivity and ability to give or receive electrons.

4. How does electronegativity affect the process of giving or receiving electrons?

Electronegativity, or the tendency of an atom to attract electrons towards itself, plays a significant role in the process of giving or receiving electrons. Atoms with higher electronegativity values will have a stronger pull on electrons and are more likely to receive electrons in a chemical reaction. On the other hand, atoms with lower electronegativity values are more likely to give electrons.

5. Can atoms give or receive more than one electron at a time?

Yes, atoms can give or receive more than one electron at a time. This is known as multiple bonding and occurs when atoms share or exchange multiple pairs of electrons to achieve a full outer electron shell. Examples of this include double and triple bonds in molecules such as carbon dioxide and nitrogen gas, respectively.