Gmsh (meshing for cfd programs) keeps crashing

In summary, the conversation revolved around an issue with the program gmsh crashing on a Linux 64 bit system when attempting to open a .stp file or draw lines. The error message "segmentation fault (core dumped)" was displayed, and the user tried different versions of the program and checked for common causes of seg faults such as a bug list or user feedback. Eventually, it was determined that the issue was caused by a misconfigured system that was unable to render OpenGL graphics properly. The user was advised to try updating their video driver, which ultimately resolved the issue.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Hello all

I just downloaded gmsh on Linux 64 bit running Ubuntu 18.04. When I attempt to open a .stp file I created in salome, the program crashes, leaving a terminal output "segmentation fault (core dumped)". Any idea what is going on? The step file is https://github.com/joshmccraney/step-file-tank.

And it's also randomly crashing when I try to draw lines (same error above). This can't be normal, right? To install, I downloaded the .tar package here. Just seems weird it keeps crashing.

Technology news on Phys.org
Hmm... first release, today even... wait for the next one. :H

(or you could try a re-download and re-install)

Tom.G said:
Hmm... first release, today even... wait for the next one. :H

(or you could try a re-download and re-install)
My thoughts too, so I downloaded several previous versions, all with the same issue.

The common things I can think of are rather general, not terribly helpful, and you've likely already done them! (I've not used either Ubuntu or gmsh)
  • Check their bug list...
  • ... and user feedback
  • Not compatible with your OS version
  • Not enough memory
  • Defective memory
Edit: Also incompatible device driver, video driver is the most often culprit.

Let us know what you find.

Last edited:
Thaks Tom.G! I did not find anything about video drivers and user feedback. In fact, a different user was able to upload my stl file, so it must be an error on my system? Though that user was on xubuntu 16, so very similar software. I downloaded the version for Linux 64 bit, so I don't think the OS is an issue.

I have 128 GB of ram, and 1 TB ssd which has only used a few gb. It might be the gpu, but there is nothing to support this currently. I appreciate your response though!

Lots of things can cause a seg fault, but a common one is trying to read an array variable beyond the bounds of the array. For example when you have an array defined with 100 data points and you try to read the 101st. Is there any way for you to check if that is what is happening?

I would try the mailing list. The creator of gmsh replies to most messages I think and last time I checked he seemed to reply once per day.

fluidistic said:
I would try the mailing list. The creator of gmsh replies to most messages I think and last time I checked he seemed to reply once per day.
Yep, I actually wrote on one of their boards. After running the program in a debugger, turns out Tom.G is correct: the issue is a misconfigured system, which can not render OpenGL graphics properly. Does anyone know how to address this issue or should I post in another thread? I can provide more info if needed.

joshmccraney said:
...can not render OpenGL graphics properly. Does anyone know how to address this issue...
Try to get a different version of the Video Driver, either newer or older. I've run into bugs in those across at least three successive versions on occasion (on Windows though). It's also possible, but unlikely, a hardware problem. For instance a dust/dirt build-up on the video card or its fan/heatsink (I've had to wash the whole card a couple of times due to a dirty environment... a project not for the faint of heart.)

I'm currently living with a minor bug that randomly causes the mouse cursor to move to a screen edge, often the upper left edge. I'm putting up with it because there were rendering problems with versions that tamed the cursor! Oh well.

Please keep us updated on your efforts/results.

Cheers,
Tom

Tom.G said:
Try to get a different version of the Video Driver, either newer or older. I've run into bugs in those across at least three successive versions on occasion (on Windows though). It's also possible, but unlikely, a hardware problem. For instance a dust/dirt build-up on the video card or its fan/heatsink (I've had to wash the whole card a couple of times due to a dirty environment... a project not for the faint of heart.)

I'm currently living with a minor bug that randomly causes the mouse cursor to move to a screen edge, often the upper left edge. I'm putting up with it because there were rendering problems with versions that tamed the cursor! Oh well.

Please keep us updated on your efforts/results.

Cheers,
Tom
Okay, so I am in touch with AMD. Since it's taking a while to get a reply and since I have a separate harddrive partitioned to Windows, I tried it there and it worked no problem. Evidently the issue was definitely the driver, which is from AMD's website, and looks like it was designed from them.

For me, expecting to hear little from AMD, the issue is fixed, or rather a workaround is found. I appreciate your interest and help!

• Informative
Likes Tom.G

1. Why does Gmsh keep crashing when I try to mesh my CFD program?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that your mesh is too complex or has too many elements, causing Gmsh to run out of memory. Another possibility is that there may be errors in your meshing parameters or settings. It is also possible that there is a bug in the software itself.

2. How can I prevent Gmsh from crashing when meshing for my CFD program?

To prevent Gmsh from crashing, you can try reducing the complexity of your mesh, optimizing your meshing parameters, or updating to the latest version of the software. You can also try using a different meshing software or reporting any bugs to the Gmsh developers.

3. Is Gmsh the best option for meshing in CFD programs?

Gmsh is a popular and widely used software for meshing in CFD programs, but it may not be the best option for every application. It is always recommended to evaluate and compare different meshing software to find the best fit for your specific needs and requirements.

4. Can I use Gmsh for meshing in other types of simulations besides CFD?

Yes, Gmsh can be used for meshing in various types of simulations, including structural mechanics, electromagnetics, and acoustics. It is a versatile software that can handle different types of meshes and geometries.

5. Are there any resources available for troubleshooting Gmsh crashes?

Yes, there are various resources available for troubleshooting Gmsh crashes. You can refer to the software's documentation, online forums and communities, or contact the Gmsh developers for support. You can also try reaching out to other users who may have encountered similar issues.