Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gnuplot: ylabels + ytics + LaTeX causes too much whitespace

1. May 16, 2012 #1

Mute

Homework Helper

I'm hoping someone can help me with the following problem. I have a .p file for generating a .eps file using gnuplot. I want both the y-axis label and the y-axis tics to be formatted using LaTeX. Getting this done is no problem. The problem I am having is that having both of these options creates an unreasonable amount of white-space between the label and tics, which squashes the actual plot. Setting the offset for either the y label or the tics just moves them; the plot does not resize itself accordingly. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

My .p file is

Code (Text):

reset
    set term epslatex standalone size 5 in, 3 in color colortext # 5 in, 3 in is default
    set output "output.tex"

#set autoscale
    set xrange [0:11]
    set yrange [0:pi]
    set key right bottom
    set key spacing 1.3
    set xtics 0,1,10
    set ytics ('$0$' 0, '$\frac{\pi}{12}$' pi/12, '$\frac{\pi}{6}$' pi/6, '$\frac{\pi}{4}$' pi/4, '$\frac{\pi}{3}$' pi/3, '$\frac{5\pi}{12}$' 5*pi/12,  '$\frac{\pi}{2}$' pi/2, '$\frac{7\pi}{12}$' 7*pi/12, '$\frac{2\pi}{3}$' 2*pi/3, '$\frac{3\pi}{4}$' 3*pi/4)
    set style line 1 lt 1 lw 9 pt 0 ps 0
    set style line 2 lt 3 lw 9 pt 0 ps 0
    set xlabel 'Frequency $\omega$' #offset 0.0,0.5
    set ylabel 'Phase $\varphi$' #offset 15,0.0
    plot 'phasevomega.txt' u 1:(atan2($4,$3)) every ::(47*384)::(48*384-1) w lines ls 1 lc rgb"red" title 'Simulation data'

set output
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2012 #2
    I tried your script and adjusting the offset of the ylabel seems to do exactly what it is supposed to do. The plot even resizes (unsquashes) itself. I'm using gnuplot 4.4.3 on linux. Perhaps your version behaves differently?

Lee Phillips
    ----------------------------
    gnuplot Cookbook:
    Available on Amazon

4. Aug 28, 2012 #3

Mute

Homework Helper

Sorry it took so long to reply to this. I've been attending to a number of other projects, so this got put on the backburner for a while since the squashed version wasn't terrible or anything, I just wanted to figure out how to fix the file.

Anywho, upgrading the version of gnuplot to the latest version (4.6) did appear to fix the squashing issue, although the ylabel text does look somewhat... aliased? Kind of like a bad-photocopy. Not a big issue, hopefully, unless the text becomes hard to see in publications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook