Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gods Lego, what are the chances?

1. Apr 30, 2013 #1
    Not sure if this is the right category but...

Protons, electrons and neutrons, the perfect building blocks for matter. How does physics explain that of all the things that could explode out of the Big Bang, we got the perfect Lego blocks for creation? Is there a point of view on this? Is it the many worlds interpretation? Is it the simple answer that had they not we would not be here to reflect on it? If so is that really an explanation?

Be interested to hear your thoughts :-)

Best,

Professional animator and not physicist.

Rcbs.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2013 #2
    All I can say is that we don't know. We can only assume, and this far, the Big Bang has made the most sense to me. The fact is that nobody is right or wrong at this moment. It's like Schrodinger's Cat.

4. Apr 30, 2013 #3
    Thanks Joseph.

Seems likely that the Big Bang happened. Just seems incredible ot me that of all the things that it could have produced, it produced particles which just happen to have unimaginable properties that perfectly create matter. The chances seem incalculable. Do we just say chance?

5. Apr 30, 2013 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

So you say that it is incredible that our universe has so many interesting properties (such as being able to create matter).

This is true. But the point is that we only know about one universe. Maybe other universes also have (very different) interesting properties? And if you were to live in that universe (in some form), then you woulg think that that universe is the only possible one that is so interesting.

6. Apr 30, 2013 #5
    Absolutely micromass. So we are assuming many worlds? I was always under the impression that that theory was not widely liked by the physics community. I personally have no issues with it and agree it would explain a lot. Just seems like an incredible waste of energy creating trillions of universes for every possible potential. How does that fit in with conservation of energy?

7. Apr 30, 2013 #6
    According to Hawking, there may be universes being born all the time. Some of them survive, and some don't.

8. Apr 30, 2013 #7
    Interesting Joseph, I wonder if there is any evidence for this, either indirect or mathematical?

9. Apr 30, 2013 #8
    You should watch "Into the Universe" with Steven Hawking. It covers this topic and a bunch of others like aliens and the properties of spacetime.

10. May 1, 2013 #9

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Rcbs, this concept is called the "fine tuned universe". A list of references with more information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fine-tuned_Universe

However, it is against PF rules to mix science and religion, so I am closing this thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook