Philosophy: Is God timeless? (NOT A RELIGION THREAD)

In summary: The thread is a discussion on exploring the concept of God through science, spirituality, and philosophy. The rules state that religious references are not allowed, but God can be discussed. God is defined as whatever the individual wants for the purpose of this discussion. The thread is open to discussing scientific, spiritual, and philosophical questions and insights on the concept of God.
zewpals
Rule 1) Absolutely no religious references, only spiritual and philosophical
Rule 2) God may be discussed in this thread
Rule 3) God is not a person, physical being, or anything with any type of anthropomorphic traits for the purpose of this discussion (i.e. does not talk and certainly does not intervene with anything that takes place in the universe, at least since the big bang)
Rule 4) We are assuming there is God (whatever you'd like it to be; yes God is self-defined for the purpose of this discussion)
Rule 5) Don't flame, especially not me please haha.
Rule 6) Moderators: I didn't read the forum rules out of shear laziness so...hehe...don't take this off please :D

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to tell you what to believe in, that's not my intention. I'm putting my religion aside for this argument, so please please please follow the rules.

Alright, this thread is for men and women of science who would like to explore God through what we believe we know about the Universe. It is also for men and women of spirituality or philosophy who would like to explore the Universe through your beliefs in God.

That being said, I'll give a little more direction because I'm a little confused myself.

Ex: Scientific questions and standpoint
The Big Bang (most prominent cosmology creation theory) demonstrates that there was a beginning to the start of time. Is God, which is being assumed to be real, everything within the known universe? If the universe ended would God end? Or is God timeless; was God around before the beginning of time, will be here after "time" ends; and does God encompass more than the observable universe? (i.e. other universes expressed in higher-order dimensions,"nothingness")

Ex: Spiritual/Philosophical questions and standpoint
God, to me and/or according to [insert philosopher, sage, mathematician, historical culture here] is [insert explanation]. How does the universe reflect upon this viewpoint? Where did God come from? What makes up God? Is God a collection of thoughts, subconsciousness between humans, all living things, all living things minus mosquitoes because everyone hates them, nature, Mother Earth, the known physical universe, all types of energy in the known universe, the entire scope of the observable universe, or everything and nothing that has, will, and does exist? What is our roll in God and how vast is God?

If you have bared with me this far, thank you :)

Anything ranging from addressing the questions above, asking new questions, and providing any type of Philosophical, Spiritual, or Scientific insight would be much appreciated.

Let's get an awesome discussion going. Go!

Physics news on Phys.org
zewpals said:
If the universe ended would God end? Or is God timeless; was God around before the beginning of time, will be here after "time" ends; and does God encompass more than the observable universe? (i.e. other universes expressed in higher-order dimensions,"nothingness")

God is created by human beings. So God will be alive only up to the time human beings live in this Universe.

n.karthick said:
God is created by human beings. So God will be alive only up to the time human beings live in this Universe.

For future posts, everyone embellish a little more!

haha i spent too long writing this XD. I'll bump it once and see if I get more responses. If not I'll let it follow it's destiny to the oblivion of threads after page 2 haha.

my thoughts ...

Existence of GOD is a matter of 'faith' - it cannot be 'proven' or 'known' as a result of experience or logic.
One's experience or logic can be the basis of faith, but does not override the need for faith.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

I think God is just something we, as humans, created as a scapegoat of sorts. Not just a scapegoat of course, but it's the only word I can seem to think of to describe it.

Humans NEED someone to blame for mistakes or failures. They NEED someone to praise with thanks for something good happening. God is more of a tool for keeping people happy. If something went wrong, it's ok because it wasn't anyone's fault, it was just the will of God. If something just happens to work, God happens to be saying that's a good thing to do, so keep doing it. People with high authority (such as kings, pharoahs and emporers) would be the largest contributer to this effect. They want people to follow them, so rather than take the blame for anything bad, God takes his or her place. They could use God as a reason for people to keep following them, even to the extent of threatening them with God punishing them. I digress here though.

In summary, God isn't an object, or a force, or anything physical in any sense. I believe God is juat a mindset, or habit. As long as people need someone to follow, or need someone to blame, God will always be here.

Well these are very interesting. They are also very similar haha. This thread is kind of analogous to asking "what do you think of the health care reform?" on a democratic or republican forums page haha. Maybe I'll take this question to a philosophy forum.

I think this is better suited for a theology forum. Even with all the rules imposed in the OP (thanks for trying), I think there are too many questions to make a focused topic here. It's almost a "So, what do you think about God?" thread.

Also, your last set of questions seem to be inviting discussion of specific religious beliefs, and as you'll see in the guidelines, we avoid that here.

PF Rules said:
Discussions that assert the a priori truth or falsity of religious dogmas and belief systems, or value judgments stemming from such religious belief systems, will not be tolerated. As a rule of thumb, some topics pertaining to religion might be permissible if they are discussed in such a way so as to remain neutral on the truth of, or value judgments stemming from, religious belief systems. However, it is essential to use good judgment whenever discussing religious matters to ensure that the discussion does not degenerate into a messy dispute. If in doubt, err on the side of caution.

Last edited:

1. What is the concept of timelessness in philosophy?

The concept of timelessness in philosophy refers to the belief that God exists outside of time and is not bound by its constraints. This means that God is not subject to change or aging and exists in a state of eternal present.

2. How does the idea of timelessness relate to the existence of God?

The idea of timelessness is often used as an argument for the existence of God. Proponents of this view argue that the existence of a timeless being is necessary to explain the origin and complexity of the universe.

3. Can a timeless God interact with the world?

This is a debated topic among philosophers. Some argue that a timeless God cannot interact with the world because interaction requires a temporal relationship. Others argue that a timeless being can still act within time without being subject to it.

4. How does the concept of timelessness affect the idea of free will?

Some philosophers argue that a timeless God would have complete foreknowledge of all events, making the concept of free will incompatible. Others argue that a timeless God's perspective may be outside of time and therefore does not interfere with free will.

5. Are there any religious implications of the concept of a timeless God?

Timelessness is a concept that is often associated with certain religions, such as Christianity and Islam. These religions view God as existing outside of time and space. However, the concept of timelessness can also be explored from a purely philosophical perspective, without any religious implications.