Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Going Out To Eat Phobia?

1. Feb 15, 2008 #1
    Is there such a thing as a "going out to eat" phobia? Where one dreads being in that sort of environment to the point where they get anxious, and lose their appetite. Cause I know a few people who are that way and I was wondering if this is just all in their head or if there is some psychological backing to it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2008 #2

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get this. I've never been able to enjoy a meal in a restaurant and I've tried a few times. I don't know what causes it, but I do have some pretty awful generalised anxiety problems any way. I don't think its a phobia however.

4. Feb 15, 2008 #3
    I was thinking that maybe they feel more pressure to eating everything on their plate in that sort of setting instead of saving it for later like they could at home? Or maybe when they're full and they have to sit around and smell everyone elses food they start to get nauseous, maybe even vomit in the bathroom and that memory sticks with them?

5. Feb 15, 2008 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

There are many kinds of phobias. I had a sister-in-law that had a fear of indoor plumbing. Here is a list of phobias, some of the more interesting are

Fear of
    air - Anemophobia
    anything new - Neophobia
    atomic explosions - Atomosophobia
    Asymmetrical Things - Asymmetriphobi
    Bald People - Peladophobia
    Beds / Going To Bed - Clinophobia
    Body, Things To The Left Side of The Body - Levophobia
    Chickens - Alektorophobia
    Clocks - Chronomentrophobia
    Dancing - Chorophobia
    Daylight / Sunshine - Phengophobia
    Englishness - Anglophobia
    Telephones - Telephonophobia
    Thinking - Phronemophobia

http://www.phobialist.com/index.html

6. Feb 15, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suppose that could be true in some cases where they have a bad experience and can't overcome it. I've never had such a bad experience, but for me personally I don't have a great relationship with food in the first place. I do feel nauseous when I eat but thats nearly all the time, and not just in restaurants since I have IBS (I know; add it to the list :rolleyes:). I'd imagine for the people you know, they might not have such a good relationship with food as the average person does. That could take many different forms. What I was getting at in the first place is there could be a multitude of different reasons, and not just an all encompassing phobia.

7. Feb 15, 2008 #6
    Is there a phobia of being phobic?

8. Feb 15, 2008 #7
    Well they typically feel fine after we leave the restaurant, and their appetite returns. It's just they lose it for some reason when in the restaurant and they can't overcome it. I'm thinking that maybe for some reason they're more comfortable eating at home than at a restaurant. They love the food at the restaurants so it's not like it's just them hating the food. It's just the eating in the restaurant aspect it seems.

9. Feb 15, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Phobophobia apparently. I'd have thought fear of atomic explosions would be quite rational and thus not a phobia?

10. Feb 15, 2008 #9

Evo

I guess it's the fear that you could be a victim of an atomic explosion. Not something most people would fear on a daily basis. I can't say that I would rank it in my top ten ways that I'm likely to die.

11. Feb 15, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Home is generally a safe place, and any subtle discomfort they have with food might not be realised at home. The communal setting and unfamiliar surroundings probably just heighten their feelings or insecurities.

12. Feb 15, 2008 #11

Evo

It could be the discomfort of being around a group of strangers in an unfamiliar place.

13. Feb 15, 2008 #12
    Maybe they have more confidence in eating a lot at home knowing they don't have to sit around and smell other peoples food? Cause I know if I'm full and I smell food that it makes me sick to my stomach since I no longer desire food.

14. Feb 15, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh right, so fearing an atomic explosion all the time, rather than witnessing one and thinking 'oh crap!'.

15. Feb 15, 2008 #14

Evo

:rofl:

You'd probably only have to fear it once.

Although I remember all the journalists that were invited to witness the atomic bomb tests in Nevada. :bugeye:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  16. Feb 15, 2008 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That could be one reason. I originally replied because like I said I have these feelings but never give them much thought. Since its had time to crystallise I can say that for me its knowing that I'll probably feel sick in an unfamiliar setting which is supposed to be enjoyable and I'll probably ruin the night for everyone. That makes me anxious and amplifies the problem. My ill feelings stem from something pre-existing, but like you have stated they could arise from anything that makes one feel uncomfortable around food. Feeling sick or unwell in a large group of people where you don't have the securities of the home is a worry for quite a lot of people. Would that be considered a phobia?

17. Feb 15, 2008 #16
    Well from the people that I know it is a phobia.

http://www.athealth.com/Consumer/disorders/Agoraphobia.html

I think this sums up their condition.

18. Feb 15, 2008 #17

Evo

I guess it would depend on what you consider normal.

Merriam Webster's definition of phobia - an exaggerated, usually inexplicable and illogical fear of a particular object, class of objects, or situation

19. Feb 15, 2008 #18
    I think the fear of anxiety could be classified as a phobia under that definition.

20. Feb 15, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl: Well thats normal to me. Guess thats why my attempts to rationalise it weren't too good.

21. Feb 15, 2008 #20
    What is? The phobia I provided a link to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?