Goldstein - CM - chapter guidance?

Not sure if this thread fits here, anyway.
My teacher recommended this book so I decided to check it out. However, I don't really understand what to read from it. We've been doing moment of force, particle systems and static equilibrium so far. This stuff only seems to be in the first "introductory" chapter in the book. There's also chapters about lagrangian- & hamiltonian equations, none of which I've heard of before.
If anyone has knowledge of the book, could you tell me some chapters that are about statics and the things I've been studying?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Doc Al
Mentor
If anyone has knowledge of the book, could you tell me some chapters that are about statics and the things I've been studying?
Goldstein is a rather advanced book on Classical Mechanics. What are you currently studying and at what level? You won't find much in Goldstein on basic statics. (There are intermediate level books on Classical Mechanics that bridge the gap.)

It seems so, my teacher said he used it and that it's like a CM "bible".
Applied mechanics; statics and dynamics. First year at university level.

Nabeshin
Science Advisor
It seems so, my teacher said he used it and that it's like a CM "bible".
Applied mechanics; statics and dynamics. First year at university level.

Ah. Well, it's true that it certainly is THE book for classical mechanics, but it's an upper undergraduate/graduate level text. I'm not sure why your professor recommended you look at it for your course...

I see. So it doesn't explain much of the basics of statics and dynamics?
By basics, I mean one level ahead of what's taught in "high school". Vector based physics.