1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Golf Balls and differential equations

1. Oct 12, 2012 #1
    Hey Everybody, I am supposed to model the trajectory of a golf ball. I have been given the equations for velocity as a function of its derivative with respect to time. I am supposed to find the x-range as a function of the angle θ. (Pardon my bad latex skills, I will fix mistakes):

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    These are the equations which have a mathematical solution, and they do not include lift. -.25 is the drag coefficient on the golf ball.

-.25v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}[/itex]
    and
    -.25v[itex]_{y}[/itex] -g = [itex]\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}[/itex]

Therefore

[itex]\frac{dv_{y}}{dt}[/itex] +.25 v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = -g where g is the earth's acceleration due to gravity.
    and
    [itex]\frac{dv_{x}}{dt}[/itex] +.25v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = 0

2. Relevant equations

Integrating factor: e[itex]^{\int P(t) dt}[/itex]
    x range = v[itex]_{i}[/itex]cosθ * t

3. The attempt at a solution

For v[itex]_{x}[/itex]:

I(t) = e[itex]^{\int P(t) dt}[/itex]
    I(t) = e[itex]^{.25t + k_{1}}[/itex]

[itex]\int(d e^{.25t}e^{k_{1}}v_{x} /dt)[/itex] = [itex]\int 0 dt[/itex]

e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{k_{1}}[/itex]v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]

v[itex]_{x}[/itex] = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex] because e[itex]^{k_{1}}[/itex] is just a constant too.

v[itex]_{i}[/itex]cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]) = C[itex]_{1}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]

I use the statutory initial velocity of a golf ball of 76.2 m/s.

cos([itex]\Theta[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{C_{1}}{76.2}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]

[itex]\Theta[/itex] = cos[itex]^{-1}[/itex]([itex]\frac{C_{1}}{76.2}[/itex]e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex])

For v[itex]_{y}[/itex]: (skipping the prelim stuff)

e[itex]^{.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{k_{2}}[/itex]v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = -gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex]

v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{-k_{2}}[/itex](-gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex])

v[itex]_{i}[/itex]sin(θ) = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex]e[itex]^{-k_{2}}[/itex](-gt + C[itex]_{2}[/itex])

sin(θ) = [itex]\frac{e^{-.25t}e^{-k_{2}}(-gt + C_{2})}{76.2}[/itex]

θ = sin[itex]^{-1}[/itex]([itex]\frac{e^{-.25t}e^{-k_{2}}(-gt + C_{2})}{76.2}[/itex])

These equations for θ seem pretty nasty, not to mention I have no way of knowing the Constants because I only know the absolute value of the velocity, not the components.
    Also, these equations I have found for θ have seemingly nothing to do with range, they are a function of time. Any hints? Should I use another solution method for the v[itex]_{y}[/itex] differential equation? Laplace Transform?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2012 #2
    I tried to solve v[itex]_{y}[/itex] using Laplace Transforms.

I got

v[itex]_{y}[/itex] = e[itex]^{-.25t}[/itex](v[itex]_{y}[/itex](0) +4g) - 4g

I still dont know v[itex]_{y}[/itex](0) because the angle can vary.

4. Oct 13, 2012 #3
    Getting closer, can someone tell me if there is a way to write initial velocity in y as a function of θ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook