1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good books in topology for beginners ?

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    which books do you think are good to beginners in topology ?

for someone don't know any thing in topology and little set theory ?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2012 #2
    Munkres - Topology

4. Dec 19, 2012 #3
    I can tell you what not to read: For my introduction to topology course, the professor assigned Dixmier's book, which was atrocious, in that it made no effort to explain anything whatsoever.

The upside is that it's probably one of the thinnest textbooks ever produced for a mathematics course*.

*hyperbole intended

5. Dec 19, 2012 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

what kind of topology do you want to study?

6. Dec 19, 2012 #5
    what is the kind of topology ?!

what i know that there is general topology and algebraic topo
    I think I will start with general topo then algebraic one

7. Dec 20, 2012 #6
    We used this book for our introduction to topology course.

Introduction to Metric and Topological Spaces by W. A. Sutherland

8. Dec 20, 2012 #7

lurflurf

Homework Helper

I like Introduction to Topology: Second Edition by Theodore W. Gamelin and Robert Everist Greene. So people say it is to hard. It gives a good overview of metric space ,point-set topology and a little algebraic topological. It does not get bogged down it dull unimportant aspects of point-set topology like some books.

Counterexamples in Topology Lynn Arthur Steen and J. Arthur Seebach Jr. has many examples that are nice to see. Just don't get the idea that topology is particularly concerned with strange examples.

9. Dec 21, 2012 #8
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Dec 21, 2012 #9
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  11. Dec 21, 2012 #10
    I have never had a topology class and I wanted to learn some before I started grad school (I just started this semester.) So, someone recommended the book General Topology by Kelley. So, I bought it because of the recommendation and because it happened to be dirt cheap for a new copy on Amazon. When I read it, I had had some exposure to the topology of the real line, so I was at least familiar with stuff like open sets (though only on the real line and R^n). Kelley doesn't really give motivations for his definitions so if you haven't had a course on real analysis, I definitely would not recommend this book.

However, I have really liked it, and I have also read through Munkres, and I think Kelley is better suited if you already had a course which exposes you to topology in R^n. However, lots of people disagree with me on this.

12. Dec 21, 2012 #11
    that's great
    but I didn't take any course in real analysis , I study linear algebra , abstract algebra and calculus .

so , no real analysis

13. Dec 22, 2012 #12
    Some real analysis might be useful before you jump into topology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook