1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good computer strategy/RPG games

1. Jul 6, 2008 #1
    Do you know any really complex, innovative and playable computer strategy/RPG games worth playing? When I was a bit younger I used to play quite a lot and I think I've played every major title there is, from Civilization through Heroes of M&M to Planescape:Torment. Now most games seem to be boring (I got older :) ), they hardly ever introduce any genuinely new elements into gameplay, and that's especially true about mass-market games, so I'm looking for some less known titles. As for RPG I tried roguelike stuff like ADOM, but that's just hack'n'slash, and I tried Stars!, but I felt there's more bureaucracy there than real gaming. I'd like to find something really complex and difficult, but Google/Wikipedia bring nothing of that kind. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2008 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The games by Battlefront, Combat Mission, Beyond Overlord, for one, are excellent games with a unique game engine. They are very accurate as far as weapons capabilities go. This is not fantasy, this is WWII. You plot your moves on a 3d battlefield, after each player has plotted, the computer plays a 1 minute movie of the combined moves. You have control of individual tanks and infantry squads, so it is a tactical level rather then strategic.

4. Jul 6, 2008 #3
  5. Jul 6, 2008 #4
    Have you played any of the Commandos games? WWII RTS except instead of various units to build and/or command you have a black ops team. The newest title is a FPS the the older ones are RTS style.

My friend loves Rome Total War and the newer title Medieval Total War.

6. Jul 6, 2008 #5
    Medieval Total War, you'll be hooked!

Jordan.

7. Jul 6, 2008 #6
    Warcraft 3, play competitively though! single player is awesome also.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?