Good gift for a friend: infrared thermometer?

In summary, these corded digital thermometers can be useful for testing the temperature of foods on the grill or in a pan, and can measure room temperature objects. They can also be used to measure temperatures in the low to high range, from -30 to 500 degrees Celsius.
gravenewworld
I was thinking about getting my friend one for his bday. Does anyone play around with these? I was thinking he could use it to perfectly cook meats on the grill or test the temperature of a pan to make pancakes, etc. Are they really useful or just overkill that people never end up using if they don't do work like HVAC?

Physics news on Phys.org
I started using them for HVAC work several years ago and bought myself one for home use a year ago. It's great if you're a nerd like me, but you know the person's personality, not me...

Any gift is a good gift for a friend. My friends don't get me squat on my birthday; of course, they have no money, either.

You can get a corded digital thermometer for a little over $10. That's a good gift for someone who likes to grill steaks and (especially) poultry. An IR thermometer isn't much good around a grill because to test for doneness you have to probe the interior of the meat, away from any embedded bone. My wife picked one up at WalMart. the probe is removable and completely washable, and the insulation on the cord is tough enough to stand temperatures under the grill hood, so I can leave the hood down and monitor the temperature of a piece of meat while it is cooking.

gravenewworld said:
I was thinking about getting my friend one for his bday. Does anyone play around with these? I was thinking he could use it to perfectly cook meats on the grill or test the temperature of a pan to make pancakes, etc. Are they really useful or just overkill that people never end up using if they don't do work like HVAC?

It would be great if your buddy is one of those kinds of people who is always thinking to himself, "I wonder what the surface temperature of that thing is."

Turbo is right, the surface temp of grilled meat doesn't tell you how cooked the inside is.

My thermometer for a pan for frying meat is a tiny piece of onion, and for pancakes, a drop of batter, if it starts to sizzle, the temperature is right.

russ_watters said:
I started using them for HVAC work several years ago and bought myself one for home use a year ago. It's great if you're a nerd like me, but you know the person's personality, not me...
Does it measure room temperature objects, or is it strictly for elevated (oven or heating duct) temperatures? I'm wondering if it could identify cold areas / heat leaks in walls or floors around the home.

Redbelly98 said:
Does it measure room temperature objects, or is it strictly for elevated (oven or heating duct) temperatures? I'm wondering if it could identify cold areas / heat leaks in walls or floors around the home.
I bought this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O80B5M/?tag=pfamazon01-20

$55 and it does -30 to 500C

Likes 1 person
I like that the sensor range is 7-18 microns, so you can get a reading from a pane of glass (opaque above 3 or so microns). Of course, this means getting an oven temp requires opening the door first.

This might be my next birthday present. Thanks Russ.

More detailed specs:
http://support.fluke.com/raytek-sales/download/asset/mt_bro_1-1101_revf.pdf

1. What is an infrared thermometer?

An infrared thermometer is a device that measures temperature by detecting the infrared energy emitted from an object. It can accurately measure the temperature of an object without making physical contact.

2. How does an infrared thermometer work?

Infrared thermometers work by using a lens to focus the infrared energy from an object onto a detector. The detector then converts the energy into an electrical signal, which is displayed as a temperature reading on the thermometer.

3. Why is an infrared thermometer a good gift for a friend?

An infrared thermometer is a practical and useful tool for everyday temperature measurement. It can be used for a variety of purposes such as cooking, checking body temperature, and monitoring the temperature of appliances and equipment. It also offers quick and accurate readings, making it a convenient gift for anyone.

4. Are there different types of infrared thermometers?

Yes, there are two main types of infrared thermometers: spot or point infrared thermometers and infrared scanning systems. Spot or point infrared thermometers measure a specific spot on an object, while infrared scanning systems can measure a larger area and provide a visual temperature map.

5. What should I look for when choosing an infrared thermometer as a gift?

When choosing an infrared thermometer as a gift, consider the temperature range, accuracy, and response time. It's also important to check the battery life, display options, and any additional features such as memory or adjustable emissivity. Lastly, make sure to read reviews and compare prices to find the best option for your friend.