Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good gift for a friend: infrared thermometer?

1. Aug 14, 2010 #1
    I was thinking about getting my friend one for his bday. Does anyone play around with these? I was thinking he could use it to perfectly cook meats on the grill or test the temperature of a pan to make pancakes, etc. Are they really useful or just overkill that people never end up using if they don't do work like HVAC?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I started using them for HVAC work several years ago and bought myself one for home use a year ago. It's great if you're a nerd like me, but you know the person's personality, not me...

4. Aug 14, 2010 #3
    Any gift is a good gift for a friend. My friends don't get me squat on my birthday; of course, they have no money, either.

5. Aug 14, 2010 #4

turbo

Gold Member

You can get a corded digital thermometer for a little over $10. That's a good gift for someone who likes to grill steaks and (especially) poultry. An IR thermometer isn't much good around a grill because to test for doneness you have to probe the interior of the meat, away from any embedded bone. My wife picked one up at WalMart. the probe is removable and completely washable, and the insulation on the cord is tough enough to stand temperatures under the grill hood, so I can leave the hood down and monitor the temperature of a piece of meat while it is cooking.

6. Aug 14, 2010 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would be great if your buddy is one of those kinds of people who is always thinking to himself, "I wonder what the surface temperature of that thing is."

Turbo is right, the surface temp of grilled meat doesn't tell you how cooked the inside is.

7. Aug 14, 2010 #6
    My thermometer for a pan for frying meat is a tiny piece of onion, and for pancakes, a drop of batter, if it starts to sizzle, the temperature is right.

8. Aug 16, 2010 #7

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does it measure room temperature objects, or is it strictly for elevated (oven or heating duct) temperatures? I'm wondering if it could identify cold areas / heat leaks in walls or floors around the home.

9. Aug 16, 2010 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

10. Aug 17, 2010 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook