1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good introduction to linear algebra?

1. Feb 6, 2007 #1
    I have several books on linear algebra but they all bore me to death. What I find annoying is that they all focus on giving tons of definitions on the opening chapters only to elaborate on the relevance of those definitions later. What I am looking for is the opposite; a text that gives the meaning of the definitions right at the beginning. What do you suggest?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2007 #2
    You could always pick up a text on applied linear algebra. Not necessarly the best way to learn the topic (rigor wise, at least in my university); however, just to get familar with the topic it is a pretty good alternative to the texts you seem to be bumping into.

Unfortunantly, I don't have my university's applied linear algebra text, so I can't cite it for you, but hey you can probably find something better by searching amazon.
  4. Feb 6, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look at Meyer, Matrix Analysis and Applied Linear Algebra. It is excellent, and less boring than most. (It still isn't going to make the Times Bestseller list or Oprah's book club, however...)
  5. Feb 6, 2007 #4
    Linear Algebra Through Geometry perhaps.
  6. Feb 7, 2007 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Schaum's outline is good and cheap.
  7. Feb 8, 2007 #6
    I have it :tongue2: Still boring... anyway thanks for all the answers. I have to say, Daverz, your suggestion is most interesting to me. I'll look into it.
  8. Feb 21, 2007 #7
    You can check out mathwonk's free online notes for linear algebra.
  9. Feb 21, 2007 #8
    I'm going to self-study linear algebra, and I recently decided to use Strang's Linear Algebra and its Application . How do you guys think about this one??
  10. Feb 24, 2007 #9
    I have a copy of Strang's Linear Algebra
  11. Feb 24, 2007 #10

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?