Prerequisites for the textbook "Linear Algebra" (2nd Edition)?

DartomicTech
Summary:: What pre-requisites are required in order to learn the textbook
"Linear Algebra (2nd Edition) 2nd Edition
by Kenneth M Hoffman (Author), Ray Kunze (Author)"

Sorry if this is the wrong section to ask what the title and subject state. I read some of chapter 1 already, and that all made sense to me. But I don't want to actually start studying it, only to get to a point where I realize that I am missing a lot of needed knowledge to proceed learning the rest of the book.

Answers and Replies

fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2022 Award
It looks pretty basic to me, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some content seems to be a bit biased towards mathematics, which is o.k. if you study mathematics, but might not be necessary if you study physics.

Likes DartomicTech
DartomicTech
It looks pretty basic to me, so there shouldn't be a problem. Some content seems to be a bit biased towards mathematics, which is o.k. if you study mathematics, but might not be necessary if you study physics.
Thanks!

jasonRF
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In the US that book tends to be used for upper-division, second courses in linear algebra. It requires you are comfortable with constructing proofs and reading abstract mathematics. If this is your first time learning linear algebra and you aren't comfortable with proofs yet, then I would recommend an easier book.

jason

Likes DartomicTech
MidgetDwarf
I prefer the book Linear Algebra Done Right. No prerequisite, only familiarity with proofs.

Its only shortcoming(can be a strength) is that determinants are relegated to the back of the book. You can easy supplement this with a book such as Artin: Algebra. Chapter 1 talks about matrices and determinants. Chapter 3 Vector Spaces, and Chapter 4 Linear Transformations and its properties.

To get concrete examples in R^n, you can view Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Forms by Hubbard and Hubbard.

These books complement each other well, and you can learn quite a bit of mathematics doing so.

Hubbard and Hubbard is an interesting math book. A must on any shelf. It made it obvious to me that any linear transformation from R^n to R^m can be represented as T(v)=[T]v, where v is the column vector which is an element of R^n, [T] is the mxn matrix associated to the linear transformation T.

Likes DartomicTech

Suggested for: Prerequisites for the textbook "Linear Algebra" (2nd Edition)?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views