Good Introductory Book on Physics?

In summary, the conversation discussed recommendations for books to introduce someone to the topic of physics. The suggested books were "Introduction to Physics" by Halliday and Resnick for a more general overview, "Thinking Physics" by Lewis C Epstein for a conceptual approach, and an online resource for learning about relativity. The individual expressed interest in the mathematical side of physics and how it can be applied to real-world scenarios. They also mentioned their current job as a mechanic and their potential interest in pursuing engineering or business.
zoiberg137
Hello all,
I am considering majoring in physics and was wondering if there are any books that anyone would like to recommend to introduce me to the topic. i am currently in algebra so I can't handle anything too mathematically complex, but I AM interested in the mathematical side of the subject.

I am currently reading Elegant Universe and was considering reading up on Einstein or the general theory of relativity, but wasn't really sure where to start as there are many books out there and many different aspects of physics. I'm thinking I am more interested in how physics is applied to our current world more so than the theoretical aspect of it.

Maybe what I need is something that will either confirm my interest in the subject or show me that I should focus on something else! (I currently work as a mechanic but would like to go farther and possibly get into engineering and/or business).

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
General:
Halliday and Resnick "Introduction to Physics".
You'll find the physics will help your algebra by putting it into context.
Recent physics texts with "introduction" in the title should do.
H&R is aimed at 1st-year college courses but recaps HS physics too.

There are basic physics primers online - I'd use those.
(There are also college courses - you need never buy a book.)

Conceptual:
Lewis C Epstein "Thinking Physics"

For relativity, you can have a go at:
http://www.physicsguy.com/ftl/html/FTL_intro.html
... introduces relativity graphically. Derivations are not hard though the consequences are a bit mind-bending ... but you did ask about Einstein.

What is the best introductory book on physics?

The best introductory book on physics can vary depending on the level of understanding and interest of the reader. Some popular options include "Concepts of Physics" by H.C. Verma, "The Feynman Lectures on Physics" by Richard Feynman, and "Six Easy Pieces" by Richard Feynman.

What concepts are typically covered in an introductory book on physics?

An introductory book on physics usually covers basic concepts such as motion, forces, energy, electricity, magnetism, and waves. It may also touch upon more advanced topics such as quantum mechanics and relativity.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand an introductory book on physics?

While a basic understanding of math is helpful, most introductory books on physics do not require a strong background in math. They often use simple equations and provide explanations for mathematical concepts used.

Are there any interactive elements in an introductory book on physics?

Many introductory books on physics now come with interactive elements such as online simulations, videos, and practice quizzes. These can enhance the learning experience and make it more engaging.

Can an introductory book on physics be used by non-scientists?

Yes, many introductory books on physics are written in a way that is accessible to non-scientists. They use simple language and avoid complex scientific jargon, making it easier for anyone to understand the concepts.