1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good northeastern astronomy astrophysics programs

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    Hi, the name really says it all, ive been looking for good colleges that focus on astronomy and astrophysics, either or. The problem is that the college search sites really are not good at deciding between a college with astronomy, and a GOOD college with astronomy, one that has research, good teachers etc.
    Any college would be helpful, i want to stay close to the east coast, 4 hours away from new york city tops. and im not good enough for the ivy leagues.

also is there any ok schools for astronomy and astrophysics, not the best, but good saftey schools

thanks for the help
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

What are you planning to do with that degree? There's not a lot you can do without a PhD in astronomy or physics, and frankly a physics major would be the best preparation you can get - you don't need a separate astronomy or astrophysics major. A physics major with classes in astronomy, math, and computer science would prepare you for either physics or astronomy grad programs. And you can study physics almost anywhere. Good programs within a few hours of NYC would be Rutgers, UMass Amherst, BU, Penn State, and a whole bunch of liberal arts colleges. Those often give you the opportunity to start research early, so don't discount them.
  4. Sep 4, 2010 #3
    i was thinking of going to join a government program, NASA, etc.
  5. Sep 4, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

There are 12 colleges in your area that offer a MS or higher in astronomy, indicating that their undergrad programs are at least moderately strong. (Although in some cases, their undergrad degrees are in physics). Seven are Ivies.

The remaining 5 are Boston University, Penn State, U Mass, Maryland and Wesleyan. Wesleyan does not have a PhD program.
  6. Sep 5, 2010 #5

Science Advisor

You might also look at NYU and SUNY-Stony Brook. Both have good astrophysics programs.
  7. Sep 5, 2010 #6
    I second this. I know a few students at Stony Brook who study Astronomy and they are extremely happy there. Also, I've heard only good things about NYU's physics and astronomy programs -- though I believe they only offer astronomy at the graduate level. Check into it though, they're both great schools.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook