Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Good thermodynamics text/videos?

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    All,

Know of any thermodynamics text that's better than "fundamentals of engineering thermodynamics" From Wiley publishing?
    Shortcomings- very few example problems, and I feel like it's missing something, but I'm not quite sure what. Like, there's a disconnect between the science and the practice of thermodynamics

I am willing to pound my head against a graduate level text, if that is what is necessary.

Any good video lectures?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

Mech_Engineer

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've personally found "Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics" to be a good text for reference, what you need in my opinion is to work with the teacher/TA to understand the examples presented in the text.

What topics specifically are you having trouble with?

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    I agree this is often the case.

However I also agree with this since it is vitally important to know your area of interest in thermodynamics.

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4
    I guess I'm really looking for a reference textbook- like something I can keep on a shelf and refer to in the future if I'm developing something that requires a thermodynamic analysis
    I mean, I know the basics of the energy rate balance; but if I need to assume that a compressor doesn't change the entropy of a fluid, I don't know what kind of assumptions I'll have to make.

6. Jul 24, 2012 #5
    I'm sorry, but that didn't tell me much other than you appear to want a textbook on compressors.

If you want a good answer you need to ask a good question.

Engineering or Physics viewpoint

If Engineering

Chemical plant engineering?, turbine?, Heatpump?, combustion engine? General mechanical? steam engine?

but then I'm doing your work for you.

7. Jul 24, 2012 #6
    If I asked this question about fluid dynamics, everyone tends to answer munson/young/okiishi. I'm looking for something like that. Or is thermodynamics more broad a field than fluid dynamics?

8. Jul 24, 2012 #7
    Thermodynamics and fluid mechanics are very different things although there is some common ground.

I am still at a loss to know exactly what you are seeking.

Anyway here is a list of books I have found useful

Basic Engineering Thermodynamics : Rayner Joel

Exactly what is says introductory to intermediate level for steam plant, refrigeration plant, IC engines, tubines etc

Engineering Thermodynamics, Work and Heat Transfer : Rogers and Mayhew

Intermediate to advanced as above. The UK engineers bible.

Essentials of Engineering Fluid Mechanics : Olsen

Slanted towards mechanical engineering fluids

Introduction to Heat Transfer : Incropera and DeWitt

Big book with lots of examples.

Concise Appplied Thermodynamics : Phillips and Owen-Jones

The opposite, very compact but contains lots of useful techniques and worked examples.

Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics : Smith and Van Ness

Good book with a Chem Eng slant

Transport Phenomena : Bird, Stewart and Lightfoot.

A brilliant book going from elementary to very advanced with a special blend of fluid mechancis and thermodynamics.

9. Jul 24, 2012 #8
    awesome, thanks

10. Jul 31, 2012 #9
    The Wiley text is a really good one, and I liked using it in class. Have you considered using Chegg.com so that you can get solutions to book problems and use those as additional examples? I agree that there aren't enough in the book alone, but I think there is a good variety of end of chapter problems that become examples when used with Chegg.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook