Good transfer schools(undergraduate) for a physics major?

In summary, the student is finishing up their last semester of college and has classes that include: Intr. to Diff equ, Calculus 3, physics 2, and the lab. They also have a 3.95 GPA. They have not done any research or participated in any extracurriculars, but they have a job this semester as a physics tutor. The student is looking for advice on good transfer schools for a physics major and is wondering if an institution that has research resources is a good idea.
Elvis 123456789
Hey everybody, I'm currently at Miami-Dade College in Florida finishing up my last semester before I transfer. My classes this semester are Intr. to Diff equ, Calculus 3, physics 2 and the lab, and some bs general requirement. I have a 3.95 GPA, my only B is in a Biology course I took. I haven't been exposed to any research or any extracurriculars, though I did get a job this semester as a physics tutor thanks to my physics professor who vouched for me. I was hoping some of you guys could recommend some good/decent transfer schools for a physics major; preferably an institution that has resources for undergraduates to perform research. I plan to transfer for the upcoming Fall in October/September.

Physics news on Phys.org
Elvis 123456789 said:
Hey everybody, I'm currently at Miami-Dade College in Florida finishing up my last semester before I transfer. My classes this semester are Intr. to Diff equ, Calculus 3, physics 2 and the lab, and some bs general requirement. I have a 3.95 GPA, my only B is in a Biology course I took. I haven't been exposed to any research or any extracurriculars, though I did get a job this semester as a physics tutor thanks to my physics professor who vouched for me. I was hoping some of you guys could recommend some good/decent transfer schools for a physics major; preferably an institution that has resources for undergraduates to perform research. I plan to transfer for the upcoming Fall in October/September.

Try to find a Floridian university to avoid out of state fees, I don't know much about the universities there though, to get specific. Where do most students from your CC transfer to? Do they have any articulation agreements with anyone?

Student100 said:
Try to find a Floridian university to avoid out of state fees, I don't know much about the universities there though, to get specific. Where do most students from your CC transfer to? Do they have any articulation agreements with anyone?
most people here go to the state university that's close by(FIU), others go to the university of Miami; these school's physics programs don't really look that great. My school has a lot of articulation agreements but there mostly with other Florida colleges, which don't seem that great either; though, they do have agreements with university of Wisconsin, Georgia tech, and Florida university, but those are all for engineering students sadly :(

Elvis 123456789 said:
most people here go to the state university that's close by(FIU), others go to the university of Miami. my school has a lot of articulation agreements but there mostly with other Florida colleges, which aren't that great; though, they do have agreements with university of Wisconsin, Georgia tech, and Florida university, but those are all for engineering students sadly :(

Florida university seems to have a good program, and a great faculty. Lot of great CM guys, and IHEPA.

What makes you think it's only for engineering?

Student100 said:
Florida university seems to have a good program, and a great faculty. Lot of great CM guys, and IHEPA.

What makes you think it's only for engineering?
I looked at the details of the articulation agreements with those schools, and it says that it's for people pre-engineering people who were transferring into the engineering department. UF looks like a good school, but i wanted to see what kind of options were available out of state, maybe it's not worth it for a bachelor's idk.

Elvis 123456789 said:
I looked at the details of the articulation agreements with those schools, and it says that it's for people pre-engineering people who were transferring into the engineering department. UF looks like a good school, but i wanted to see what kind of options were available out of state, maybe it's not worth it for a bachelor's idk.

You'd pay in state tuition, they have a great program, what more could you ask for? Does the agreement say anything about transferring as an physics major? Most likely it's the same path as transferring as an engineering major. Have you emailed the university or talked to a transfer adviser?

There aren't many schools out of state that'd make the extra tuition worth it.

You could always apply to an ivy, but if that was your intention, you didn't really need to ask here. Any public out of state institution will be on the same level as UF after looking over their website.

Elvis 123456789 said:

Transfer information is available on the website: Have you completed these courses or their equivalents? https://www.advising.ufl.edu/admissions/transfer-admissions/#Physics

General information: http://www.phys.ufl.edu/academics/undergraduate/

I don't plan to apply to any Ivys, at least not for undergrad, as I don't believe I'd get accepted to any. I will have all the courses that UF requires after this semester is over with. I guess I'll apply there and hopefully they'll accept me and offer some kind of financial aid package.

Elvis 123456789 said:
I don't plan to apply to any Ivys, at least not for undergrad, as I don't believe I'd get accepted to any. I will have all the courses that UF requires after this semester is over with. I guess I'll apply there and hopefully they'll accept me and offer some kind of financial aid package.

Another good thing about UF is that their tuition is still cheap for in state students. 6k vs 28k if you were an out of state student. It makes a huge difference.

That is what I would do, if I had to make the same choice. Federal loans can cover some of it, hopefully you've been qualifying for pell grants and what not. Cost estimates: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/basics/cost-of-attendance/

Elvis 123456789 said:

Take a look at where I went for UG: UCSD cost estimates: https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/financial-aid/budgeting/undergrad-2014-15.html

Pay close mind to the out of state estimate. That's a lot more money for a school that isn't necessarily any better than UF. 54,000 is a lot of money.

T
Student100 said:
Another good thing about UF is that their tuition is still cheap for in state students. 6k vs 28k if you were an out of state student. It makes a huge difference.

That is what I would do, if I had to make the same choice. Federal loans can cover some of it, hopefully you've been qualifying for pell grants and what not. Cost estimates: http://www.sfa.ufl.edu/basics/cost-of-attendance/
Thank you, I really do appreciate the advice.

Student100 said:
Take a look at where I went for UG: UCSD cost estimates: https://students.ucsd.edu/finances/financial-aid/budgeting/undergrad-2014-15.html

Pay close mind to the out of state estimate. That's a lot more money for a school that isn't necessarily any better than UF. 54,000 is a lot of money.
I can see your point, I suppose it really isn't worth it to pay all that extra money. I just want to maximize my chances of getting into a top notch school like MIT or Berkeley for the Phd.

Elvis 123456789 said:
I can see your point, I suppose it really isn't worth it to pay all that extra money. I just want to maximize my chances of getting into a top notch school like MIT or Berkeley for the Phd.

Often they aren't even the best choice for a given field, you'll learn that in time- once you kind of get an idea where you want to end up in physics.

Go for the BS at UF, for the first math elective I would take PDE's. Then the next mathematics elective with complex analysis or a higher linear algebra, depending on what you find the most interesting. Both are very useful, you could do both using another elective. I was trying to see if they offered an undergraduate math methods course, but I'm tired and having trouble.

Take some graduate courses your senior year, 9 physics electives there, if you follow their recommend path.

What are some good transfer schools for an undergraduate physics major?

Some good transfer schools for an undergraduate physics major include University of California-Berkeley, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, University of Texas-Austin, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

What factors should I consider when choosing a transfer school for a physics major?

Some important factors to consider when choosing a transfer school for a physics major include the strength of the physics program, opportunities for research and internships, the location and surrounding community, and the overall academic and social environment of the school.

Can I transfer to a top ranked university for physics as an undergraduate?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to a top ranked university for physics as an undergraduate. However, these schools often have highly competitive admissions processes and may have specific requirements for transfer students, so it is important to research and plan ahead.

Are there any specific courses or prerequisites I should take before transferring as a physics major?

Some common prerequisites for transferring as a physics major include introductory physics courses, calculus, and other math and science courses. It is also important to check the specific requirements of the school you are interested in transferring to.

What resources are available to help me with the transfer process as a physics major?

Many universities have transfer advisors or counselors who can assist with the transfer process, as well as resources such as transfer fairs and workshops. Additionally, it can be helpful to reach out to current or former students at the schools you are interested in for advice and insights.