Goofy answer when trying to solve the prisoner's dilemma (probability stuff)

• Thread starter morrowcosom
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the optimal solution for a row player in a game with two options, Deny (D) and Tattle (T). The player is trying to find a solution without eliminating any dominated alternatives. The attempt at a solution involves setting up equations and solving for a possible solution, but it is not clear if this solution is correct due to the presence of dominant scenarios.
morrowcosom

Homework Statement

Trying to find optimal solution for row player. Deny=D Tattle=T. I am trying to do this without knocking out dominated alternatives.

D T
D -1,1 -10,0

T 0,-10 -6,-6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

DD=p(-1)+(1-p)(-10) =-1p-10+10p =9p-10
DT=p(0)+(1-p)(-6) =-6+6p

9p-10=-6+6p
3p=4
p=4/3 (Huh?)

I do not know if my arithmetic is off, or I cannot solve the game by setting both equations equal because of the (0,-10) and (-10,0) scenarios.

Thanks for the help.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me why you are doing that. There clearly is a dominant solution- both prisoners "tattle".

1. What is the prisoner's dilemma?

The prisoner's dilemma is a classic game theory scenario in which two individuals must decide whether to cooperate or betray each other. The outcome of the game depends on the choices made by both players.

2. How does probability play a role in the prisoner's dilemma?

In the prisoner's dilemma, probability is used to determine the likelihood of each player choosing to cooperate or betray. It is also used to calculate the expected payoff for each player based on their choices.

3. What is a "goofy answer" in the context of the prisoner's dilemma?

A goofy answer in the prisoner's dilemma refers to a response that is unexpected or irrational. It may involve a player choosing to cooperate or betray for reasons that are not based on logic or strategy.

4. Can a goofy answer actually be a successful strategy in the prisoner's dilemma?

It is possible for a goofy answer to be successful in the prisoner's dilemma, but it is not a reliable or recommended strategy. In most cases, using logic and probability to make strategic choices will result in a better outcome.

5. Is the prisoner's dilemma a realistic representation of real-life situations?

The prisoner's dilemma is often used as a simplified model to study decision-making and strategic behavior. While it may not accurately reflect all real-life situations, it can provide valuable insights into how individuals make choices in competitive or cooperative scenarios.