Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Google Trends: CS-related phrases at an all-time low

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    When I took a look at Google Trends this morning, I found out that words such as "computer science," "software engineering," "programming," "c++/java" have been declining significantly over the years. Even "outsourcing" has been as well.

Can anyone explain this pattern?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Google is becoming more part of the 'real' world rather than just being used by computer types?
    The top hit for 'samba' used to be a program to allow Unix machines to talk to Windows servers now the first dozen pages are probably about the dance.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    Hmm, first few links for me
    http://www.samba.org/
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(disambiguation)
    us1.samba.org/samba/what_is_samba.html
    us1.samba.org/samba/

5/9 seems significant to me. Even if you don't consider sub-links, it still is 3/6 (Ignoring the video links).

Coming back to the question :

Snippet from About Google Trends
    "With Google Trends, you can compare the world’s interest in your favorite topics. Enter up to five topics and see how often they’ve been searched on Google over time."

This gives two possible reasons,
    A] Losing interest in CS related searches
    This is quite highly unlikely because university students might still search on google for lecture notes and the likes .oO(or do they? especially with sites like academicearth.org, wikipedia, ocw etc. vying to be a more centralized and dependable sources for academic notes and info?)
    B] Google is being used equally if not more by all of its user groups than those who would search for CS specific stuffs.

It could either of the above or both. Ofcourse, if someone tries to imply from this that CS is not a popular field anymore, then I must say that I don't feel the same way.

-- AI

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook