Got rejected for being an atheist

• Thread starter Julio R
  • Start date
In summary, the person is discussing their recent rejection by a Christian girl who stated she couldn't date someone who did not follow God. They question whether this is a valid reason or just a lame excuse. Others in the conversation share their opinions and suggest that it could be a cover for her lack of interest. Ultimately, they suggest that it's a matter of personal preference and compatibility in relationships.
Julio R
I just recently got rejected by this Christian girl. She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God. What do you guys think? Kinda sounded like a lame excuse. (Hope this question is not against form guidelines)

Physics news on Phys.org
It's no more lame than any other reason - such as a man only wanting to date women less than 200 pounds, a 40-year-old woman that that rejects anyone over 30 as being too old for her, a woman that only wants to date men, a woman that only wants to date women, a non-smoking woman that won't date a smoker, and, lamest of all, a woman that only wants to date people that aren't me.

People usually like to date people that have similar interests to them.

I, for one, probably wouldn't date a woman that rides a motorcycle, or a woman that doesn't like hiking in the mountains, or a woman that doesn't know how to use slide rules (admittedly, that last tends to seriously limit my dating life).

Julio R said:
I just recently got rejected by this Christian girl. She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God. What do you guys think? Kinda sounded like a lame excuse. (Hope this question is not against form guidelines)
I think you're lucky.

Likes 1 person
Evo said:
I think you're lucky.

I guess. I'm not that upset because I respect other people's beliefs and choices, but it seems like a one-sided respect in this case.

BobG said:
It's no more lame than any other reason - such as a man only wanting to date women less than 200 pounds, a 40-year-old woman that that rejects anyone over 30 as being too old for her, a woman that only wants to date men, a woman that only wants to date women, a non-smoking woman that won't date a smoker, and, lamest of all, a woman that only wants to date people that aren't me.

I, for one, probably wouldn't date a woman that rides a motorcycle, or a woman that doesn't like hiking in the mountains, or a woman that doesn't know how to use slide rules (admittedly, that last tends to seriously limit my dating life).

I guess it's a matter of personal preference. :confused:

Julio R said:
I guess. I'm not that upset because I respect other people's beliefs and choices, but it seems like a one-sided respect in this case.
It's always better to find out sooner than later, I hope she didn't hurt you.

Julio R said:

Religion isn't a big part of your life, so it's not surprising you don't care what other people do with their religious life. Religion is probably a big part of her life, so it shouldn't be surprising that she does care what her significant other believes. I don't think there is any disrespect being given based on the facts in the OP.

Office_Shredder said:
Religion isn't a big part of your life, so it's not surprising you don't care what other people do with their religious life. Religion is probably a big part of her life, so it shouldn't be surprising that she does care what her significant other believes. I don't think there is any disrespect being given based on the facts in the OP.

You give a valid point too. I guess it wasn't disrespect. At least not on purpose.

Julio R said:
She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God.

Would that be HER religion's god or just any god in general?

I'm an avid fan of Zeus and Hercules, does that count?

Imagine if you got with her. Then what? You can't even do anything ''fun''

Likes toothpaste666
Mentallic said:
Would that be HER religion's god or just any god in general?

I'm an avid fan of Zeus and Hercules, does that count?

Zeus sucks so does Posiedon...I like Hades better, but Metis is the best, well Prometheus is close but I prefer Metis...

Don't like Heirakles (not much) too- Daedalus, Ullysses and Chiron are better IMO. But Heirakles is way better than Zeus.

Last edited:
BobG said:

:biggrin:

Julio R said:

You might be right: religious differences would be an excellent cover for the fact she had no interest in you. If she were interested, I'm thinking she'd have agreed to a date provided, say, you went to church with her or at least agreed to read some Bible or some pamphlets. In that way, she could rationalize her interest in you to her co-religionists, by claiming she was actually trying to convert you.

Julio R said:
I just recently got rejected by this Christian girl. She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God. What do you guys think?

Lucky you.

Julio R said:

Oh Jesus, you couldn't have just lied a little while, you know, for at least a few times?

Likes toothpaste666
jackmell said:
Oh Jesus, you couldn't have just lied a little while, you know, for at least a few times?

mmm...I thought Jesus wasn't supposed to lie?
o:)

jackmell said:

I couldn't lie about something that's important to her.

Julio R said:
I just recently got rejected by this Christian girl. She said she couldn't date someone who did not follow God.

Tell her you're your own God.

Perhaps you should just accept that when it comes to the most intimate relationships people involve themselves in, it is perfectly legitimate for them to FEEL comfortable, including about their partner's metaphysical stance.

Use your positive karma to reject your next love interest over her not believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

The good news is, you escaped. If she had really fancied you, she would have married you and then spent the rest of her life trying to convert you.

zoobyshoe said:
You might be right: religious differences would be an excellent cover for the fact she had no interest in you. If she were interested, I'm thinking she'd have agreed to a date provided, say, you went to church with her or at least agreed to read some Bible or some pamphlets. In that way, she could rationalize her interest in you to her co-religionists, by claiming she was actually trying to convert you.

Or, if she was interested in you, instead of just claiming to try to convert you, she could have actually tried to convert you.

Evo's right. You were probably lucky.

BobG said:
Or, if she was interested in you, instead of just claiming to try to convert you, she could have actually tried to convert you.

Evo's right. You were probably lucky.

I see that now! :eek:

If she meant "doesn't follow god" as in "not religious" then I'd say it's just her wanting someone with similar interests as her own. But if she meant, like a lot of people do, that "doesn't follow god" means "wicked, immoral person", then I'd say that's pretty insulting.
Enigman said:
Zeus sucks so does Posiedon...I like Hades better, but Metis is the best, well Prometheus is close but I prefer Metis...

Don't like Heirakles (not much) too- Daedalus, Ullysses and Chiron are better IMO. But Heirakles is way better than Zeus.

Seriously guys, we found evidence a long time ago that those gods don't exist... Oh wait.

leroyjenkens said:
Seriously guys, we found evidence a long time ago that those gods don't exist.
So? I like stories. And I never said they or any other gods existed...
FYI: Daedalus and Ulysses are mortals not gods and they are crazy smart; Metis is a goddess. Metis means knowledge. I like knowledge. Prometheus means forethought I like that too. :smile:

Enigman said:
leroyjenkens said:
Seriously guys, we found evidence a long time ago that those gods don't exist... Oh wait.
So? I like stories. And I never said they or any other gods existed...

I don't think you understood what Leeroy is saying. He's mocking current religious groups.

Mentallic said:
I don't think you understood what Leeroy is saying. He's mocking current religious groups.

Actually I was twisting the words so that I could show off my knowledge. :rofl:
Extra titbit: The word Mentor comes from a greek guy who was impersonated by Athena.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentor

Last edited:
ask her if god can build a rock heavier than he can lift.
Or ask her if god can divide himself into 2 and battle himself.

She told me to "hit her up" if I change my mind about God. :confused: Should I take the opportunity, or is it a d-bag move? :cool:

Julio R said:
She told me to "hit her up" if I change my mind about God. :confused: Should I take the opportunity, or is it a d-bag move? :cool:

Even more evidence you dodged a bullet.

Likes toothpaste666
she told me to ht her up if changed my mind...
It is legitimately part of some christian denominations' doctrines to not date a non-christian, something about Satan's bad influences. I think she does like you as a person but, she believes God does not want her to date you.

*sincere tone of voice*

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen several girls like this end long term relationships with guys over differences in religion. Seems nonsensical, but there are girls who legitimately use religion as a relationship qualifier. The ones I know also constantly post religious articles/scripture on social media, to the point where it is annoying, and act 'goody two-shoes' all the time.

My advice, RUN!

Why would you want to date someone who has a completely incompatible worldview to your own?

Vite said:
I've seen several girls like this end long term relationships with guys over differences in religion. Seems nonsensical, but there are girls who legitimately use religion as a relationship qualifier. The ones I know also constantly post religious articles/scripture on social media, to the point where it is annoying, and act 'goody two-shoes' all the time.

My advice, RUN!

Decimator said:
Why would you want to date someone who has a completely incompatible worldview to your own?

Why would you want to answer 4 months old thread?

1. Why do people get rejected for being an atheist?

People may get rejected for being an atheist because of deeply ingrained religious beliefs and societal norms that view atheism as a threat to traditional values. Additionally, some individuals may see atheism as a rejection of their own beliefs and may feel personally attacked or offended by it.

2. Is it legal to reject someone for being an atheist?

In most countries, it is illegal to discriminate against someone based on their religious beliefs, including atheism. However, in some places, there may be loopholes or exceptions that allow for discrimination based on religious beliefs.

3. How common is it for atheists to be rejected?

The frequency of atheists being rejected varies depending on the cultural and societal norms of a particular region. In some places, atheism may be more accepted and tolerated, while in others it may be heavily stigmatized and result in frequent rejection.

4. What can I do if I am rejected for being an atheist?

If you are rejected for being an atheist, you can seek support from like-minded communities and organizations. You can also educate others about atheism and work towards promoting acceptance and understanding of different beliefs.

5. How can we reduce the rejection of atheists?

Reducing the rejection of atheists requires promoting education and open-mindedness about different beliefs. It also involves challenging and dismantling societal norms and prejudices that contribute to the discrimination of atheists. Additionally, promoting empathy and understanding towards those with different beliefs can help reduce rejection and promote acceptance.