1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology

1. Jan 22, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone out there has gone through this as well, or can weight in on it in some way.

I have a MET degree from 2007 with a cumulative gpa below 3.0. I want to get into the aerospace industry, and I'd really like to get an advanced degree to maximize my career potential and open doors to really interesting work. I know there are going to be schools out there that will probably laugh at my application, however I've been emailing a couple that look to be promising. One school told me I'd need to do remedial work in calc based physics and statics, dynamics, fluids, and mechanics of materials, as well as making sure I've taken calc 1-3 and diff eq. I've already retaken calc 1 & 2 both with A's, and currently doing physics 1 which I expect to get an A in.

My only concern at this point is doing all this remedial work and then having the schools end up turning me down anyways. I realize that's a risk and I'm willing to accept it and work as hard as I have to. I'm just hoping to hear some success stories from others who have climbed the same mountain.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jan 28, 2016 #3
    Not the same situation, but perhaps somewhat similar. I had a less-than-stellar high school performance for a good chunk of my high school career, but came to my senses (or whatever you'd like to call it) down the line, and realized that I was interested in engineering and applied to colleges with that intention; however, I was turned away from many schools at the door because of my academic record. Certain colleges/universities gave me a conditional acceptance, with an undeclared major, until I could complete two years of basic engineering (Calc I-III, Physics I/II, Chem I/II, etc.), which they stressed I had to do very well in. I chose one of those schools, performed exceptionally well in all of the required classes, and was accepted into all of the engineering programs I applied to at the end of my second year. This was a long time ago, but I think the same basic principles apply. If you show that you are willing to work hard, have a very firm grasp of the foundations of engineering (in the form of learning the required material as thoroughly as possible, and demonstrating that knowledge by getting the best grades you can), and are persistent, I'd be very surprised to learn that you couldn't at the very least get your foot in the door somewhere. Keep up the great work and maintain an exceedingly diligent attitude with the remainder of your classes; your impressive performances in Calc I-II will help you greatly down the road. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook