Grad School with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology

In summary, the conversation is about someone with a MET degree from 2007 with a low GPA who wants to get into the aerospace industry and is considering getting an advanced degree. They have been emailing schools and one has told them they will need to do remedial work in math and physics before being accepted. The person is concerned about doing all this work and still being turned down by schools, but others in the conversation share their success stories of being accepted into engineering programs after improving their grades in basic engineering courses. They encourage the person to continue working hard and staying diligent in their classes.
respect_the_S
Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone out there has gone through this as well, or can weight in on it in some way.

I have a MET degree from 2007 with a cumulative gpa below 3.0. I want to get into the aerospace industry, and I'd really like to get an advanced degree to maximize my career potential and open doors to really interesting work. I know there are going to be schools out there that will probably laugh at my application, however I've been emailing a couple that look to be promising. One school told me I'd need to do remedial work in calc based physics and statics, dynamics, fluids, and mechanics of materials, as well as making sure I've taken calc 1-3 and diff eq. I've already retaken calc 1 & 2 both with A's, and currently doing physics 1 which I expect to get an A in.

My only concern at this point is doing all this remedial work and then having the schools end up turning me down anyways. I realize that's a risk and I'm willing to accept it and work as hard as I have to. I'm just hoping to hear some success stories from others who have climbed the same mountain.

Not the same situation, but perhaps somewhat similar. I had a less-than-stellar high school performance for a good chunk of my high school career, but came to my senses (or whatever you'd like to call it) down the line, and realized that I was interested in engineering and applied to colleges with that intention; however, I was turned away from many schools at the door because of my academic record. Certain colleges/universities gave me a conditional acceptance, with an undeclared major, until I could complete two years of basic engineering (Calc I-III, Physics I/II, Chem I/II, etc.), which they stressed I had to do very well in. I chose one of those schools, performed exceptionally well in all of the required classes, and was accepted into all of the engineering programs I applied to at the end of my second year. This was a long time ago, but I think the same basic principles apply. If you show that you are willing to work hard, have a very firm grasp of the foundations of engineering (in the form of learning the required material as thoroughly as possible, and demonstrating that knowledge by getting the best grades you can), and are persistent, I'd be very surprised to learn that you couldn't at the very least get your foot in the door somewhere. Keep up the great work and maintain an exceedingly diligent attitude with the remainder of your classes; your impressive performances in Calc I-II will help you greatly down the road. Good luck!

1. What is the difference between a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology and a traditional BS in Mechanical Engineering?

A BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology focuses on the application of engineering principles and practical skills in the design, development, and maintenance of mechanical systems. It typically has a stronger emphasis on hands-on experience and technical skills compared to a traditional BS in Mechanical Engineering, which is more theoretical and research-oriented.

2. Can I still pursue a graduate degree with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Yes, many universities offer graduate programs specifically for students with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology. These programs may have different admission requirements and may focus more on practical and industry-related topics, but they still provide opportunities for further education and career advancement.

3. What types of graduate degrees are available for students with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering Technology include Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programs. There are also specialized programs like Master of Engineering (MEng) and Master of Technology (MTech), which focus on hands-on skills and practical applications in the field.

4. How can I prepare for graduate school with a BS in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

To prepare for graduate school, it is important to maintain a strong academic record and gain relevant experience through internships, research projects, and other extracurricular activities. It may also be helpful to seek guidance from professors or professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the requirements and expectations of graduate programs.

5. What career opportunities are available for graduates with a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology?

Graduates with a graduate degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology can pursue various career paths, such as research and development, design and manufacturing, project management, and consulting. They may also work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and consumer electronics.