1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grad School with minimal research

1. Jul 15, 2011 #1
    Hello,

I'm looking to get into grad school for physics, but I've done very little research. I did a little bit of astrophysics research early in my college career and a little bit in the field I want to pursue (nanobiosensor stuff), but nothing substantial.

However, after college, I did work in an R&D group for a medical devices company and came up with a product for which I now have a patent.

My question is, if I focus on this in my application and my essay and whatnot, is this something admissions committees will look at in a favorable light? Or would it be better to try to do some academic research first before applying to grad school. I have like a 3.5 physics gpa and an 830 on my pgre.

Thanks a lot ahead of time for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2
    I'm not too knowledgeable about this because I am just an undergrad, but I wouldn't feel too bad about your prospects. Many students have no research experience, so the fact that you have some is good. No grad school expects you to have already done research in the field you want to pursue, because they usually don't even expect you to know what field you want to pursue. It's also impressive that you have a patent. Other things matter too though, where you went for undergrad, letters of rec, etc. I would discuss the little research experience you have, as well as the patent.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook