1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grade 11 Physics: WAVES. Finding Wavelength & Frequency

1. Sep 27, 2011 #1
    I missed the day where we were taught the formulas for frequency & wavelength, so doing the questions below are a struggle. Please someone explain how .

Question 1 (wavelength) : The speed of sound in air at room temperature is 343m/s. The sound wave produced by striking middle C on a piano has a frequency of 256 Hz.
    A) Calculate the wavelength of this sound
    B) Calculate the wavelength for the sound produced by high C, one octave higher than middle C, with a frequency of 512 Hz.

^ This one I had no idea how to even start. :$

Question 2 (frequency) : A child swings back and forth on a swing 12 times in 30.0 seconds. Determine the frequency and period of the swinging.
    ^ This one I did the answer as f/t = 12/30 = .4 so is 0.4 Hz correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2011 #2
    Question one: you know that velocity of the wave=frequency*Wavelength...that should help you get the wavelength I think.
    Question two: I think you did that right..dont forget you also need to calculate the period for that. Remember period=1/frequency

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook