Stationary Waves: Finding Minimum Intensity Distance

In summary, the conversation is discussing stationary waves formed by two in-phase loudspeakers and determining the distance from one speaker where a minimum intensity is detected. The answer key provided a solution using cosine waves, which can be derived from sine waves by a phase shift. The issue of determining the type of wave is not important, but rather the phase difference and spatial separation of the sources. The minimum intensity occurs at a distance of one half-wavelength from either source.
d0h
stationary waves, urgent!

helllloo.

i'm having a major exam tomorrow and i stumbled across this question just now..would appreciate all your help!

Two loudspeakers S1 and S2 are placed a distance 4.0m apart facing each other. The loudspeakers produce sound waves of frequency 165 Hz in phase with one another. A microphone, connected to a CRO, is moved along a straight line joining S1 and S2. The sound received by the microphone fluctuates regularly. Speed of sound is 330m/s.

(ii) Find the shortest distance from S1 where a minimum intensity is detected.

I understand that a stationary wave is formed between the 2 speakers and what this question requires is the distance of the first node from S1. Not too sure on how to get there though..

the answer key provided just drew 2 cosine waves from S1 to S2, one negative and the other positive. since the wavelength is 2.0m, the min. intensity is detected at 0.5m..

what i don't understand is how and why the cosine waves are derived, why not sine waves?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
A cosine wave is a sine wave with a different phase angle, i.e. cosine wave is a sine wave shifted by pi/2, i.e. cos x = sin (x+pi/2).

Use the same wave form (sin or cos) for both speakers, i.e. the speakers are in phase.

The minimum occurs where the peak (max) of one wave cancels the trough (min) of the other.

hmm..

if there are 2 sine curves, the first crest and trough would be 0.5m from S1..
but for cosine curves, the point S1 itself would start with a crest and a trough, the next being 1.0m away

how do i determine if it starts with a sine or a cosine?

The issue is not whether the source is a sine or cosine wave, but rather the phase difference between the two sources, both temporally (timewise) and spatially.

The example provided,
the answer key provided just drew 2 cosine waves from S1 to S2, one negative and the other positive.
indicates that the sources are temporally out of phase by half a wavelength, but they are spatially separated by 2 wavelengths, the minimum intensity is at either source.

If one uses the same waves for both sources, which are also separated by an integral number (integer) of wavelengths, then they cancel at a distance of one half-wavelength from the either source.

Related to Stationary Waves: Finding Minimum Intensity Distance

1. What are stationary waves?

Stationary waves, also known as standing waves, are a type of wave that appears to be motionless or "stationary" due to the interference between two waves of the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions. They are characterized by points of zero displacement, called nodes, and points of maximum displacement, called antinodes.

2. How are stationary waves formed?

Stationary waves are formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This interference causes the waves to add or cancel out at certain points, resulting in the appearance of a stationary wave pattern.

3. What is the minimum intensity distance in stationary waves?

The minimum intensity distance in stationary waves is the distance between two consecutive nodes or two consecutive antinodes. This distance is where the intensity of the wave is at its lowest point.

4. How is the minimum intensity distance determined?

The minimum intensity distance can be determined by using the formula λ/2, where λ is the wavelength of the wave. This means that the minimum intensity distance will be half of the wavelength of the wave.

5. What is the significance of the minimum intensity distance in stationary waves?

The minimum intensity distance in stationary waves is important because it helps us understand the behavior of waves and how they interfere with each other. It also allows us to calculate the wavelength of a wave by measuring the minimum intensity distance and using the formula λ/2. Additionally, the minimum intensity distance can be used to determine the frequency and speed of a wave.