Grade 12 Physics Bomb explosion

In summary: So the final answer is that piece 1 is traveling at a velocity of 5 meters per second in the south direction.
Shin-
Question:
A bomb explodes and 3 pieces are flying in different directions.
Piece 1 : weighs 2kg and is traveling at the North East direction
Piece 2 : weighs 1kg and is traveling in the south direction ( exactly downards )
Piece 3 : weighs 3 kg and is traveling in the west direction ( exactly to the left )
Find the velocity and direction that Piece 1 is traveling at.

I know to use the momentum equation twice , one with the horizontal direction and one on the vertical direction.

Horizontal:
M1V1(initial)+M2V2(initial)+M3V3(initial) = M1V1(Final)+M2V2(Final)+M3V3(final)
Since all the initial velocities are 0 ( because bomb was at rest before explosion , the entire left side is equal to zero)

0 = 2kg ( V1F ) cosx + 1kg ( 30 m/s) cos 90 + 3kg ( 20 m/s ) Cos 180
= 2kg (V1F) cosx - 60 Kg/m/s
30 m/s = V1F cosx
Above , i canceled M2V2(FINAL) because i set that as the reference direction and angle , so it counts as 0. and i did minus 60 kg/m/s because its to the negative direction.

Vertical :
M1V1(initial)+M2V2(initial)+M3V3(initial) = M1V1(Final)+M2V2(Final)+M3V3(final)
Since all the initial velocities are 0 ( because bomb was at rest before explosion , the entire left side is equal to zero)

0 = 2kg ( V1F ) sinx + 1kg ( 30 m/s) sin 90 + 3kg ( 20 m/s ) sin 180

= 2kg ( V1F) sinx - 30 Kg/m/s
15 m/s = V1F sinx

Then divided the final equations to get

Sinx V1F 15 m/s
--------- = -------
Cosx V1F 30 m/s

Tanx V1F = .5 m/s

now i have no idea wat to do to find the direction and speed :( can anyone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You neglected to cancel out V1F in your final equations.

No , i just rewrote it as Tanx V1f

Sinx/Cosx = Tanx ( trig identity )

any ideas?

Hi Shin,

I think you misunderstood Phlogistonian's post.

You had:

Sinx V1F 15 m/s
--------- = -------
Cosx V1F 30 m/s

this simplifies to

tan x = (1/2)

The V1F is not inside the trig function and so will cancel since it is in both numerator and denominator.

1. What causes a bomb to explode?

A bomb explosion is caused by a rapid and violent chemical reaction known as an explosion. This reaction occurs when the explosive material inside the bomb is ignited, causing it to rapidly release a large amount of energy in the form of heat, light, and sound.

2. How does the size of a bomb affect the explosion?

The size of a bomb can greatly affect the explosion. A larger bomb contains more explosive material, which results in a larger release of energy and a more powerful explosion. The size of the explosion also depends on the design and placement of the bomb, as well as the surrounding environment.

3. What are the different types of bomb explosions?

There are several different types of bomb explosions, including chemical, nuclear, and improvised explosive device (IED) explosions. Chemical explosions involve conventional explosives, while nuclear explosions involve the release of nuclear energy. IED explosions are typically made from everyday materials and can vary in size and power.

4. How do scientists study bomb explosions?

Scientists study bomb explosions through a combination of experimental testing and computer simulations. They use specialized equipment to measure the energy and effects of the explosion, as well as analyze the debris and damage caused by the explosion. Computer simulations can also help scientists understand and predict the behavior of bomb explosions.

5. What are the potential dangers of a bomb explosion?

Bomb explosions can cause significant damage and destruction to buildings, infrastructure, and human life. They can also release toxic chemicals and radioactive materials, posing a threat to the environment and public health. Additionally, bomb explosions can create a sense of fear and instability in communities and have lasting psychological impacts on individuals.