Gradient Force of an optical near field

In summary: E_s\\ 0 & 0\\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##the electric field would be##\begin{bmatrix} E_p... E_s\\ E_p... E_s\\ E_s... E_s \end{bmatrix}##and the gradient force would be##F(gradient) = -\epsilon_0 e^{\frac {-(x^2 + y^2)} {2 \sigma ^2}}##where ##\epsilon_0## is a small positive number.
Sciencestd
principels.png

Source: Principles of Nano-Optics, for Lukas Novotny and Bert Hecht.The equations above represent the electric field in the second medium when a light hit a surface and the condition of TIR (total internal reflection) is satisfied. Actually this is what called Evanescent field. The point is if I want to calculate the gradient force on a particle in this field, F(gradient)=0.5a*gradient|E|^2, where "a" is the Polarizability and "E" is the electric field. How does the gradient force hold in y- direction? If I make the derivative of the field in y direction it will vanish according to the equation above because there is no variable y that exist in the equation in y axis, on another hand how I read in some articles that they say the gradient force is exist in y direction but with no explanation or derivation such as: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30417030

Science news on Phys.org
I believe the fields you display from Novotny et al are for uniform illumination on flat surface (for light traveling +x). If the beam is instead of finite extent (in y) then the refraction through beads will provide a bead force towards the region of higher intensity. Good question and the answer is that the beam is likely ~Gaussian profile in y

Likes Sciencestd
I'm really confused, Gaussian beam that in the sides it decays exponentially inside the second medium..! I didn't get it, so in every point where the light propagate inside the waveguide there is three components x,y and z, one should be the propagation direction, one is the evanescent field decaying (let's say in z) and one should be constant intensity in the space? (by the way if it is const. so what is the length/distance of this intensity) or decaying (has a gradient )?!

I’m not sure why we would start talking about a finite beam when we haven’t yet answered your question about the expression you have. Your expression is for a plane wave of pseudo infinite extent (doesn’t vary over the size scale of interest) impinging on an interface in the x y plane (normal to z) at an angle theta. The plane of incidence defines s and p in the usual way. x is parallel to the plane of incidence, and y is perpendicular.

As you noted there are no x or y dependences in the components in the bracket. The only spatial dependence is outside the bracket and applies to all components of the field. The spatial dependence in z shows that the field falls off exponentially as you go away from the interface. The x dependence is a wave (see the i in the exponent). There is no dependence on y. This looks like waves on the ocean with parallel wave fronts. As you run time forward they will even propagate.

If you think about waves on the ocean, there is no gradient parallel to the wave front. The reason you get zero gradient force in y is because there is no gradient in the field in the y That isn’t weird or confusing. It is just correct. Your math isn’t lying to you. See for example the animations here:

https://aparajitanathblog.wordpress.com/tag/evanescent-waves/

Now, as hutchphd said, if you are reading something that says there IS a gradient in y it must be because the input field has a gradient in y and they may be talking about a more realistic finite beam rather than an infinite plane wave.

Likes hutchphd
Thank you all for your answers :). I totally understand the equations above and I can derive them. My whole confusion was what they considered in the article and also in another articles - the gradient force in y direction. I can partially understand the reason why they considered it from your answers but not totally.

Can you please explain how The Gaussian beam cause to the gradient Force.. how one can imagine this?

Sure. Let’s switch coordinates for a second to a coordinate system that is natural for the incoming beam (rotated by the angle of incidence ##\theta_1## from the coordinates at the interface). Z is the direction of propagation, x is still parallel to the plane of incidence, y is still perpendicular.

In your expression the incoming beam is an infinite plane wave. The electric field amplitudes ##E_p## and ##E_s## do not vary in x and y. However no real beam can actually be infinite and have a constant intensity (and so constant electric field) everywhere. Instead, suppose the incoming light has an intensity profile. For example say it is a Gaussian beam where the intensity is

I = ##I_{max} e^{\frac {-(x^2 + y^2)} {2 \sigma ^2
}}##

the intensity is the square of the electric field, so the electric field amplitudes also vary as a Gaussian. Instead of the incoming beam being

##\begin{bmatrix} E_p \\
E_s e^{i\phi}\\
0 \end{bmatrix}## ...

You have

##\begin{bmatrix} E_p
e^{\frac {-(x^2 + y^2)} {4 \sigma ^2
}}
\\
E_s e^{i\phi}
e^{\frac {-(x^2 + y^2)} {4 \sigma ^2
}}
\\
0 \end{bmatrix}## ...

Now the field at the interface has a gradient in y.

Likes Sciencestd
looking at what I wrote I can’t fathom why I didn’t write the exponent after the bracket. I was so focused on figuring out how to LaTeX (not an expert) it didn’t even occur to me.

Likes Sciencestd
Thank a lot for your answer it really helped me to understand what's going there and I hope I understood it as it should be, otherwise I will ask again :P.
Yeah Don't worry about it, I think it's clear.

Likes Cutter Ketch

1. What is the gradient force of an optical near field?

The gradient force of an optical near field is a phenomenon in which molecules or particles are attracted or repelled by the gradient of an electromagnetic field in the near field region of an optical source.

2. How does the gradient force of an optical near field differ from the traditional optical force?

The gradient force of an optical near field differs from the traditional optical force in that it is highly localized and decays rapidly with distance from the source, whereas the traditional optical force is more spread out and can act at longer distances.

3. What are some applications of the gradient force of an optical near field?

The gradient force of an optical near field has many potential applications, including optical tweezers for manipulating small particles, optical sorting and trapping of cells, and controlling the motion of microfluidic devices.

4. Can the gradient force of an optical near field be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the gradient force of an optical near field can be controlled and manipulated by changing the properties of the optical source, such as the intensity, polarization, and wavelength of the light. Additionally, the use of plasmonic structures can enhance the gradient force and provide more control over its direction and strength.

5. Are there any limitations to the gradient force of an optical near field?

One limitation of the gradient force of an optical near field is its short range, which can make it challenging to manipulate particles or molecules that are not in close proximity to the optical source. Additionally, the strength of the gradient force is highly dependent on the properties of the optical source and the surrounding environment, which can make it difficult to achieve precise control in certain applications.