Mode Field Diameter and Penetration depth of the Evanescent field

In summary, the conversation is discussing the definition and calculation of the mode field diameter (MFD) and the penetration depth (d) in an optical fiber. There is a discrepancy between the definition of the portion of MFD in the cladding and the value of d calculated using the equation. There is also a question about the fundamental reason for the MFD in the cladding. The conversation suggests evaluating the boundary condition at the core-cladding interface to solve for the electric field in the cladding to determine the penetration depth.
Sciencestd
gWbFv.png

Source: fobasics.blogspot.com

ygmsc.jpg

Source: scirp.org As it is shown in the first pic above that the mode field diameter is defined as the mode field decreases to 1/e (in intensity 1/e^2), if I take the mode field and subtract the core's diameter then I divide it by 2, should I get the penetration depth 'd' of evanescent field as given in the equation? (known that the penetration depth is the distance of the mode portion from core until it get zero in the cladding).Why I ask this question? because when I calculate the portion of mode field in the cladding (as defined) and then I calculate the penetration depth (according to the equation) I got answer that the portion of the MFD is longer than 'd'.. doesn't matter if I plug into the equation angle values close to the critical angle or far from it and the same about the refractive indices... Why this difference? is it right to use the equation here in this case?

Attachments

• ygmsc.jpg
    ygmsc.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
I would guess that the portion of the MFD in the cladding, as you defined it, isn't exactly the penetration depth. There is a boundary condition at the core-cladding interface, depending on the ratio of indecies of refraction. If you really wanted to know, you could take a gaussian electric field distribution with the specified MFD and evaluate the boundary condition at the core-cladding interface to solve for the electric field in the cladding. That will give you the penetration depth.

Likes Sciencestd
Sciencestd said:
Source: fobasics.blogspot.com
Source: scirp.org when I calculate the portion of mode field in the cladding (as defined)
"As defined"? Obviously there is a disconnect between "d" in the formula and that "definition". I haven't looked at your sources; perhaps the answer in contained in them. It's probably a small difference anyway.

Likes Sciencestd
Actually what I found out that they are not exactly the same.. because we get "d" when the light field go through a changing in the refractive index, for example between two surfaces: a light field hit surface in angle that satisfy the condition of TIR... .But the question now is why fundamentally we have Mode field diameter... I mean if we couple light into a fiber so the TIR condition is satisfied.. then what is the cause of the Mode field diameter inside the cladding.. why we should see Gaussian exceeded the core diameter...?!

What is the mode field diameter (MFD) of the evanescent field?

The mode field diameter (MFD) of the evanescent field is the diameter of the optical fiber where the intensity of the evanescent field decays to 1/e of its maximum value. It is an important parameter in determining the size and shape of the light beam transmitted through the fiber.

How is the mode field diameter (MFD) calculated?

The mode field diameter (MFD) can be calculated using various methods, such as the Gaussian approximation or the effective index method. These methods take into account the refractive index profile and dimensions of the fiber to determine the MFD.

What is the significance of the mode field diameter (MFD) in fiber optics?

The mode field diameter (MFD) is an important parameter in fiber optics as it determines the size and shape of the light beam that can be transmitted through the fiber. It also affects the coupling efficiency between fibers and the amount of power that can be transmitted through the fiber.

What is the penetration depth of the evanescent field?

The penetration depth of the evanescent field is the distance from the surface of the fiber where the intensity of the evanescent field decays to 1/e of its maximum value. It is an important parameter in understanding the interaction between the evanescent field and the surrounding medium.

How is the penetration depth of the evanescent field related to the mode field diameter (MFD)?

The penetration depth of the evanescent field is inversely proportional to the mode field diameter (MFD). This means that a smaller MFD will result in a larger penetration depth, and vice versa. This relationship is important in designing optical fibers for specific applications, such as sensing or imaging.