Gradient function using matrix notation

• Thread starter hotvette
  • Start date
hotvette
Homework Helper

Main Question or Discussion Point

I think I'm having a brain freeze. I'm trying to determine grad f where f(x) = 1/2 xTQx + qTx. I can get to the point where df = (xTQ + qT)dx, but I don't know how to get to the final result grad f = Qx + q.

Can someone explain it?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hi hotvette! :smile:

Hint: use xTQx = ∑ij Qijxixj, qTx = ∑i qixi :wink:

quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
What is df = (xTQ + qT)dx supposed to mean?

Using the definition of the derivative Df, I calculated that the matrix of Df (that is, grad(f)) is, is ½(Qx+xQ)+q. If Q is a symmetric matrix, then xQ=Qx and we find your result grad(f)=Qx+q.

hotvette
Homework Helper
tiny-tim and quasar987,

Thanks for your replies. The calculus classes I had (l-o-n-g time a go) never used matrix notation, so I'm trying to learn it on my own. I've been using this:

http://www.ee.ic.ac.uk/hp/staff/dmb/matrix/calculus.html#deriv_linear

as a guide and was following the terminology in the link. I'm treating dx as a vector quantity (e.g. dx = [dx1, dx2, ..., dxn]T). I'm just having a hard time deriving the expression for grad f based on the info in the link. Also, sorry, but I don't see where the sum notation leads.

tiny-tim
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
hotvette
Homework Helper
eugh! :yuck: I've never come across that terminology before, and I find it really confusing
I don't follow it very well either. I'd be delighted to use an understandable alternative. Are there any online references you'd recommend?