1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gradient of a dot product identity proof?

1. Jan 28, 2013 #1
    Gradient of a dot product identity proof???

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have been given a E&M homework assignment to prove all the vector identities in the front cover of Griffith's E&M textbook. I have trouble proving:

(1) ∇(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]B) = A×(∇×B)+B×(∇×A)+(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]∇)B+(B[itex]\bullet[/itex]∇)A

2. Relevant equations
    (2) A×(B×C) = B(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]C)-C(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I applied the identity in equation (2) to the first two terms on the right hand side of equation (1), and that allowed me to cancel out 4 terms. Yet, I end up with:

∇(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]B) = ∇(A[itex]\bullet[/itex]B)+∇(B[itex]\bullet[/itex]A)

....which I know cannot be correct. How can I prove this identity in a relatively straightforward way? I have seen other pages asking this yet they all involved the use of Levi-Cevita symbols and the Kronecker Delta, which I am trying not to use because we haven't learned them. I would gladly appreciate anyone's effort to help me out.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2013 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Gradient of a dot product identity proof???

The only sensible way I can see is to do it by hand for let's say the <x> component in both sides and show they are the same.

4. Jan 28, 2013 #3

I was hoping I can get around the long calculations lol

5. Jan 28, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You have to be careful with the ∇ operator in vector identities, as it is not commutative. I think this caused the problem here.
    The long calculation will work, and it is sufficient to consider one component.

6. Jan 28, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I know you wanted avoid them, but it's definitely worth learning about the Kronecker delta and Levi-Civita symbol. Using them makes verifying the identity much easier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook