1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Gradient of Wavelength vs Period Graph?

1. Sep 10, 2010 #1
    We've got a table of periods (in seconds) and their corresponding wavelengths for creating resonance in a closed pipe.

I've been told that plotting a graph of period (on x axis) vs wavelength, and finding the gradient of that linear line will tell me the speed of sound in air. I can do that easily and found the speed in air to be 375m/s - which is reasonable.

I want to know why this works though. Why do I plot a graph of wavelength against period? Why is the gradient the speed of sound in air?

I'm assuming it is something to do with the linear equation (y=mx + c) relating the the universal wave equation (v = f x lambda). And f being inversely proportional to the period (T). But i have no idea how they relate!

An in-depth explanation would be amazing! I can do the question easily, I always just want to know why what we've been told to do works :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Your assumption is correct. You know that

v = f*λ. So

λ = v/f. Bur 1/f = T. So

λ = v*T => y = mx.

The slope of the graph is the velocity.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook