Gradschool App: Cover Letter Needed for CV?

In summary, a cover letter for a grad school application serves several purposes, including introducing yourself, highlighting your qualifications and interests, and showcasing your writing skills. It is typically required to be submitted along with a CV and should include your contact information, an introduction, a brief overview of your qualifications and experiences, and a conclusion. It is important to format the cover letter professionally and tailor it to the specific program, and it is recommended to have someone review it before submitting.
math_major_111
I am applying to PhD programs and CV is required (of course) but do I also need a covering letter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Penemonie said:
I am applying to PhD programs and CV is required (of course) but do I also need a covering letter?

I'd say no, since your statement of purpose will probably cover the same things.

Dishsoap said:
I'd say no, since your statement of purpose will probably cover the same things.
Thanks. I think so too.

1. What is the purpose of a cover letter for a grad school application?

The purpose of a cover letter for a grad school application is to introduce yourself, highlight your qualifications and accomplishments, and explain why you are interested in the program. It also allows you to personalize your application and showcase your writing skills.

2. Do I need to include a cover letter with my CV for a grad school application?

Yes, most grad school programs require a cover letter to be submitted along with your CV. It is important to carefully follow the application instructions to ensure that all required materials are included.

3. What information should be included in a cover letter for a grad school application?

A cover letter for a grad school application should include your contact information, the name and title of the recipient, an introduction explaining why you are writing, a brief overview of your qualifications and experiences, and a conclusion reiterating your interest in the program.

4. How should I format my cover letter for a grad school application?

Your cover letter should be formatted in a professional and organized manner. Use a standard font and font size, and include your name and contact information at the top. Use proper salutations and sign off with a professional closing. Your letter should also be tailored to the specific program and include specific examples of why you are a good fit.

5. Is it necessary to have someone review my cover letter before submitting it with my grad school application?

While not required, it is highly recommended to have someone, such as a mentor or career advisor, review your cover letter before submitting it. They can provide valuable feedback and help ensure that your letter effectively showcases your qualifications and reflects your interest in the program.