• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Graduate level and undergraduate level textbooks

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi.

Since I started looking for books to learn physics I've had a problem understanding what exactly is meant by "graduate level" and "undergraduate level" textbooks, given how two books in each category can seem to cover the same topics. A good example of this is Weinberg's "Lectures on Quantum Mechanics" and Rae's "Quantum Mechanics". The contents look very similar with a few exceptions.

So what is it that puts a book on quantum mechanics in either level? And how can I distinguish that when the subjects covered look similar?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Sometimes it's in the description of the book, but normally textbook selection is part of the "value added" of a university. At many schools, Jackson is a graduate-level text. At MIT, it was used for both graduate and advanced undergraduates. Why? Because MIT.

A better option is to categorise the books into beginner, intermediate and advanced levels. This is generally independent of institutions. For example, everybody will agree that Griffiths is a beginner-level and Jackson is a advanced-level text.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
FourEyedRaven, I'd be very, very wary about taking advice on graduate-level textbooks from a high school graduate.