Graduate School: Defiency Courses

In summary, graduate schools do sometimes admit students from other disciplines by having them take deficiency courses. This can happen even if the student has no formal background in the subject, as seen in the example of a physics student taking a senior undergraduate course in plasma physics before continuing into the graduate program. However, it is not always a smooth process, as some students may struggle to pass placement exams or orals after being admitted without an undergraduate degree in the relevant subject. Overall, the admissions requirements may vary depending on the reputation of the school, but having decent grades can still improve one's chances of being accepted.
theman408
I've always wondered, do graduate schools really admit students from other disciplines by having them take defiency courses? or do they just say that as a "formality"?

Physics news on Phys.org
In my experience, I've seen it happen where a student with a physics undergraduate degree, but no formal courses is plasma physics was admitted to the graduate program and allowed to take a senior undergraduate couse in plasma physics before continuing into the graduate class. So yes, it happens.

Our university had someone come in from engineering to be a physics MS student and I believe he was "strongly suggested" to take some of our undergrad courses. He left the department half way through that semester though so maybe there's a reason why people require them.

At my department people have been accepted without an undergraduate degree in math. They have often failed our placement exams and been told to take one or two undergraduate classes instead. However, they are still required to pass orals by the end of their second year. It means that if they can't take the grad level courses right away, they are pretty much screwed or they really really need to work like crazy in order to pass the orals.

I'm at a school, studying computer science with a math undergraduate degree. I have a couple of formal courses required of me before full admissions, but yes I'm in.

My school is a little weaker in terms of reputation though. It's likely you'll make it in anywhere as long as you're not applying to the highly competitive schools and your grades are decent.

Last edited:

1. What are deficiency courses in graduate school?

Deficiency courses are undergraduate-level courses that are required for students who do not have sufficient background or knowledge in a certain subject area. These courses are meant to supplement the student's education and provide them with the necessary skills and knowledge to be successful in their graduate program.

2. How do I know if I need to take deficiency courses?

This will depend on the requirements of your specific graduate program. Some programs may require all students to take certain deficiency courses, while others may only require them for students who do not have a strong background in a particular subject. It is best to check with your program advisor to determine if you need to take any deficiency courses.

3. Can I waive deficiency courses?

In some cases, students may be able to waive deficiency courses if they can demonstrate sufficient knowledge in the subject area through previous coursework or work experience. However, this will ultimately depend on the policies of your graduate program and it is best to consult with your advisor to see if this is an option for you.

4. How many deficiency courses can I take at once?

This will vary depending on your program and the specific courses you need to take. Some programs may allow you to take multiple deficiency courses at once, while others may require you to focus on one at a time. It is important to consider your workload and time management skills when deciding how many deficiency courses to take at once.

5. Will taking deficiency courses affect my GPA?

Typically, deficiency courses are not factored into your overall GPA for your graduate program. However, it is important to check with your program to confirm this. Additionally, while these courses may not affect your GPA, it is still important to do well in them as they are meant to prepare you for your graduate studies.