Graduate school in Europe (getting out of Canada)

In summary, the speaker is looking to attend a graduate school in Europe for an M.Sc in Mathematics, but is unsure of their chances. They have a high GPA and have been involved in various extracurricular activities, but received a lower grade on their honors project and had a falling out with a professor who was supposed to be their main reference. They have also been out of school for a year and are unsure of their odds of getting into a European school with full funding. They are looking for advice and suggestions on which country, field, and goal to pursue.
JulieLew
I want to go to a graduate school in Europe for an M.Sc in Mathematics, but I don't know my chances.

I have an honors B.Sc in pure and applied math from a Canadian university and not one of the best ones. My GPA is very high, almost all A+s (they give them here), I speak five languages, was involved in everything (student council, president of the debate team, amnesty international, organised theatre shows and festivals, member of the dance collective,...) and won a medal for outstanding achievement

However, I only got a C+ on my honours project (which will likely hurt me quite severely) and had a falling out with the professor who oversaw my honours project and was supposed to be my main reference because I was the only one who he gave A+s to in the 4 abstract algebra classes. I was fairly well known in the department, being the only girl, but I have a reputation for not really showing up to classes, learning everything the day before the exam and still getting the highest mark in the class due to the delightful 100% final option. I have also been out of school for the last year traveling around and teaching math in south east Asia and I know math student are not supposed to take time off, (though I was keeping up with my own work on number properties of field extension and trying to solve P/NP I was working alone and don't have much to show except for a lot of notebooks full of incoherent scribbling).

I am wondering about my odds of getting into a European school and I would need full funding.

I desperately want to escape eternity in the Canadian university system so if anyone could give me advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
First: choose a country
Second: choose a field
third: choose a goal, what do you really want to do with life? I get this feeling that you are not really finished with your teen-years. I can be wrong however.

I understand the desire to attend graduate school in Europe and the challenges you may face in the application process. Based on the information provided, I believe you have a strong academic background with a high GPA and diverse extracurricular involvement. Your experience teaching math in Southeast Asia also showcases your passion for the subject and your ability to work independently.

However, I also understand your concerns about the C+ on your honors project and the potential impact on your application. It is important to address this in your application and explain any extenuating circumstances that may have affected your performance. Additionally, it may be helpful to secure references from other professors or mentors who can speak to your academic abilities and potential for success in graduate school.

Regarding your time off from school and your incoherent scribbling, I would suggest highlighting any progress or insights you gained during this time and how it has contributed to your growth as a mathematician. You can also mention any publications or presentations you may have from your work on number properties of field extension and the P/NP problem.

In terms of your odds of getting into a European school and securing full funding, it is difficult to say without knowing more about the specific schools and programs you are interested in. I would recommend researching the application requirements and criteria for the schools you are interested in and reaching out to their admissions offices for more information. You can also consider reaching out to current or former students from these programs for advice and insights.

In conclusion, while there may be challenges in your application, I believe you have a strong academic background and diverse experiences that make you a competitive candidate for graduate school in Europe. My advice would be to address any concerns in your application, highlight your strengths and passion for mathematics, and thoroughly research the schools and programs you are interested in. Best of luck in your journey towards graduate school in Europe!

What are the benefits of attending graduate school in Europe instead of Canada?

There are several potential benefits to attending graduate school in Europe, including exposure to different cultures, access to top-ranked universities, and potential cost savings. Additionally, many European programs offer a more specialized focus and shorter completion times compared to Canadian programs.

What are the main challenges of moving from Canada to Europe for graduate school?

The main challenges of moving from Canada to Europe for graduate school include navigating the visa process, adjusting to a new culture and potentially a new language, and managing living expenses in a new country. It may also be difficult to establish a professional network in a new location.

How does the application process for graduate school in Europe differ from Canada?

The application process for graduate school in Europe may differ in terms of required documentation, deadlines, and selection criteria. Some European programs may require additional materials such as a research proposal or letters of recommendation. It is important to carefully research and follow the specific application requirements for each program.

What are some popular countries for graduate school in Europe?

Some popular countries for graduate school in Europe include the United Kingdom, Germany, France, and the Netherlands. These countries have highly ranked universities and offer a wide range of programs in various fields. Other popular options include Switzerland, Sweden, and Italy.

Are there scholarship opportunities for international students attending graduate school in Europe?

Yes, there are a variety of scholarship opportunities available for international students attending graduate school in Europe. Many universities offer scholarships specifically for international students, and there are also external scholarships and funding programs available. It is important to research and apply for these opportunities early in the application process.