1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graduate school in Europe (getting out of Canada)

1. Jul 3, 2008 #1
    I want to go to a graduate school in Europe for an M.Sc in Mathematics, but I don't know my chances.

I have an honors B.Sc in pure and applied math from a Canadian university and not one of the best ones. My GPA is very high, almost all A+s (they give them here), I speak five languages, was involved in everything (student council, president of the debate team, amnesty international, organised theatre shows and festivals, member of the dance collective,......) and won a medal for outstanding achievement

However, I only got a C+ on my honours project (which will likely hurt me quite severely) and had a falling out with the professor who oversaw my honours project and was supposed to be my main reference because I was the only one who he gave A+s to in the 4 abstract algebra classes. I was fairly well known in the department, being the only girl, but I have a reputation for not really showing up to classes, learning everything the day before the exam and still getting the highest mark in the class due to the delightful 100% final option. I have also been out of school for the last year traveling around and teaching math in south east Asia and I know math student are not supposed to take time off, (though I was keeping up with my own work on number properties of field extension and trying to solve P/NP I was working alone and don't have much to show except for a lot of notebooks full of incoherent scribbling).

I am wondering about my odds of getting in to a European school and I would need full funding.

I desperately want to escape eternity in the Canadian university system so if any one could give me advice or suggestions I would appreciate it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2008 #2
    First: choose a country
    Second: choose a field
    third: choose a goal, what do you really want to do with life? I get this feeling that you are not really finished with your teen-years. I can be wrong however.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?