Granular space time and frame dragging

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of frame dragging and its potential effects on space time if there were only one rotating massive body in the universe. The conversation also references Newton's bucket thought experiment as a possible example.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
If there were only one rotating massive body and a detector in the universe, would the detector be able to detect that body due to frame dragging, i am imagining the body acting on granular space time akin to a whirlpool,
were space time is disturbed in a spiral motion.
I am not talking about black holes, just any sub black hole mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have Newton's bucket thought experiment in mind?

To be honest i do not know what a Newton bucket is, i will look it up. thanks.

1. What is granular space time?

Granular space time is a theory that suggests that space and time are not continuous, but rather made up of small, discrete units. This idea emerged from the study of quantum mechanics, which suggests that particles and energy are not continuous, but rather exist in small, discrete units.

2. How does frame dragging affect granular space time?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon in which the rotation of a massive object, such as a planet or star, causes a distortion in the surrounding space-time. In granular space time, this distortion is thought to be amplified, creating a more pronounced effect on the surrounding space-time.

3. Can frame dragging be observed in our everyday lives?

No, frame dragging is a very subtle effect that can only be observed in extreme conditions, such as near a black hole or a rapidly rotating neutron star. It is not something that can be observed in our everyday lives.

4. How does granular space time differ from other theories of space and time?

Granular space time differs from other theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity, in that it suggests that space and time are not continuous, but rather made up of discrete units. This idea challenges our traditional understanding of space and time as continuous and infinitely divisible.

5. What implications does granular space time have for our understanding of the universe?

Granular space time has the potential to revolutionize our understanding of the universe, as it challenges some of the fundamental principles of modern physics. It could also have implications for our understanding of quantum mechanics and the behavior of matter and energy on a microscopic level.