1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of a wave function and how to work out velocity from it.

1. Nov 27, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Open Question 2.bmp

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Open Answer 2.bmp

I really struggled with this one, my answer is nothing more than an incomplete educated guess.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In terms of the wave-function... graphically (or visually) speaking.... what does "velocity" mean?

4. Nov 27, 2007 #3
    "Velocity" means the speed the object (or in this case wave) is moving at in a certain direction.

But I don't know how to obtain the value of Velocity from the graph (that I still do not know how to draw).

5. Nov 27, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

At some time t=T, consider a snapshot of the graph. Focus on particular point (a bump, if wish) located at x=X on the graph. So, that feature has height H=g( 0.5X - 3T ). As T increases, what happens to that feature [keeping that height the same (which means keeping constant (0.5X - 3T) ]?

It might help to redraw your function at various times t (as suggested in your assignment).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?