Graph of V and I against time in AC

  • Thread starter Thread starter al_201314
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Ac Graph Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
al_201314
Messages
116
Reaction score
0
While revising on A.C, I came across the graph of V and I across a resistor plotted against time on the same axis. The book is Serway's College Physics 7th edition. Both curves are sinosoidal and are in phase which I understand, but why does the curve of I is always at a higher amplitude than V? As I know, V = IR, wouldn't the voltage curve have a higher amplitude, that is the peak value of voltage would correspond to a lower peak current for a given resistor? Why in this case is it the other way round?

Thanks for any inputs.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
look at the units on that scale. They are not the same. Your question is meaningless. You will see what I mean once you figure out the solution.
 
Last edited:
As Cyrus said, when different units are plotted on the same axis, comparison is meaningless without a scale.

But even if the axis is specifically drawn such that 1A (one ampere) and 1V (one volt) have the same segment length on the vertical axis, the I curve can be higher than the V curve. Think about what happens when you have a resistance that is less than one ohm.