1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph of V and I against time in AC

1. May 12, 2006 #1
    While revising on A.C, I came across the graph of V and I across a resistor plotted against time on the same axis. The book is Serway's College Physics 7th edition. Both curves are sinosoidal and are in phase which I understand, but why does the curve of I is always at a higher amplitude than V? As I know, V = IR, wouldn't the voltage curve have a higher amplitude, that is the peak value of voltage would correspond to a lower peak current for a given resistor? Why in this case is it the other way round?

Thanks for any inputs.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2006 #2
    look at the units on that scale. They are not the same. Your question is meaningless. You will see what I mean once you figure out the solution.
    Last edited: May 12, 2006
  4. May 12, 2006 #3

Homework Helper

As Cyrus said, when different units are plotted on the same axis, comparison is meaningless without a scale.

But even if the axis is specifically drawn such that 1A (one ampere) and 1V (one volt) have the same segment length on the vertical axis, the I curve can be higher than the V curve. Think about what happens when you have a resistance that is less than one ohm.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?