1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graph something freehand, then it gives the function..how?

1. Aug 7, 2015 #1
    • Member warned about posting vague, unclear questions.
    How or where can I do this? thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2015 #2
    Not sure what you mean. Any recipe that gives one output for a given input can be considered a mathematical function.

For properly labeled graphs where the axes for the input and output are defined, this can be done.

4. Aug 7, 2015 #3
    I know I didn't explain it very well. This is what I mean: I draw some random curvy line and some app or software tells me the function of what I just drew. Is there some app that does this? thanks for the reply

5. Aug 7, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The software can't tell you what the function is in all cases -- the best it can usually do is to approximate the curve (or a section of the curve) with a polynomial or other function, using some of the points on the curve.

6. Aug 7, 2015 #5

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

7. Aug 7, 2015 #6

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Unclear. You must fit some numbers to what you drew, and then if expecting to use a software program, give the values to the program and run the program to produce an equation.

8. Aug 7, 2015 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You are asking about the topic of Curve Fitting. One begins developing skills for this in Basic/Beginning Algebra.

9. Nov 4, 2015 #8
    Hello guys I'm tryng to help a student from high school to create a function from the shape of a structure, and I was thinking about drawing something like the structure and
    try to find a function from it.
    Does someone could give me some help?

10. Nov 4, 2015 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

You need good reliable values if you want to make a meaningful graph and find a reliable function or equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook