1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing the image of a complex number

1. Jan 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

sketch y=2 under the image w=z^(2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    z=x+(1)i=x+i {y=1 and x can be anything}

after regrouping, w=(x^2-1)+(2x)i and then I consider x^2-1 to be the real part and 2x to be the imaginary part. This is as far as I can get because I have no clue how to graph this.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you just confused because there are a couple of different meanings of x around. Try it this way (if you mean y=1 and not y=2 as you posted). A general point on the line y=1 is given (as you said) by t+i where t is any number. Squaring gives x=t^2-1 and y=2t splitting real and imaginary parts. Solve the y equation for t and substitute into the x equation to get an equation involving only x and y.
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    Ok so I just put x=t^2-1 and y=2t. From this I can conclude that t=y/2 and that x=(y^4)/4-1. This is just a parabola opening to the right facing in the x direction. Is this correct?
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sounds correct to me. You did mean x=y^2/4-1, right?
  6. Jan 13, 2009 #5
    lol yeah.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?