1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitation multiple particle system

1. Jul 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The three spheres in Fig. 13-45, with masses ma=80g ,mb=10g and mc=20g, have their centers on a common line, with L=12 cm and d=4cm. You move sphere B along the line until its center-to-center separation from C is d=4cm. How much work is done on sphere B (a) by you and (b) by the net gravitational force on B due to spheres A and C

2. Relevant equations
    http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/images/halliday8019c13/image_t/tfg045.gif

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured if W=Fd....then I started with trying to figure out the Force on particle b.
    F= Gm1m2/rr so...
    -G(.01)(.08)/(.04^2) + G(.01)(.02)/(.08^2) which gave me -3.13e-11...i then multiplied this by the distance d=.04....this gave me = -1.25e-12 J...

however the answer is .50 pJ

that's for net gravitational force, i'm not really sure how they mean for me to calculate the force by me???

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2009 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

No, I don't believe that will work here. That is the formula for work done by a constant force, but here the force on the moving particle is changing as it moves.

I would suggest using an energy approach here. What is the change in energy of the moving particle? And think about these questions: How is that energy change related to the work done? What is the work done by a conservative force?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook