Gravitation multiple particle system

In summary, the problem involves three spheres with masses and specific distances from one another. The question asks for the work done on sphere B by both the person moving it and the net gravitational force of spheres A and C. Using the formula W=Fd will not work because the force on the moving particle is changing. An energy approach should be used to calculate the work done, as work is related to the change in energy. The work done by a conservative force can also be considered.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

The three spheres in Fig. 13-45, with masses ma=80g ,mb=10g and mc=20g, have their centers on a common line, with L=12 cm and d=4cm. You move sphere B along the line until its center-to-center separation from C is d=4cm. How much work is done on sphere B (a) by you and (b) by the net gravitational force on B due to spheres A and C

Homework Equations

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/images/halliday8019c13/image_t/tfg045.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured if W=Fd...then I started with trying to figure out the Force on particle b.
F= Gm1m2/rr so...
-G(.01)(.08)/(.04^2) + G(.01)(.02)/(.08^2) which gave me -3.13e-11...i then multiplied this by the distance d=.04...this gave me = -1.25e-12 J...

however the answer is .50 pJ

that's for net gravitational force, I'm not really sure how they mean for me to calculate the force by me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Puchinita5 said:

Homework Statement

The three spheres in Fig. 13-45, with masses ma=80g ,mb=10g and mc=20g, have their centers on a common line, with L=12 cm and d=4cm. You move sphere B along the line until its center-to-center separation from C is d=4cm. How much work is done on sphere B (a) by you and (b) by the net gravitational force on B due to spheres A and C

Homework Equations

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/images/halliday8019c13/image_t/tfg045.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured if W=Fd.

No, I don't believe that will work here. That is the formula for work done by a constant force, but here the force on the moving particle is changing as it moves.

I would suggest using an energy approach here. What is the change in energy of the moving particle? And think about these questions: How is that energy change related to the work done? What is the work done by a conservative force?

I would like to offer a response to the above content. Firstly, it is important to note that the given information provides a well-defined and solvable problem in the field of gravitation and multiple particle systems. The problem involves three spheres with different masses, positioned on a common line, and a specific distance between them. The goal is to calculate the work done on one of the spheres (B) by both the person moving it and the net gravitational force exerted by the other two spheres (A and C).

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for gravitational force, F = Gm1m2/r^2, where G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two bodies, and r is the distance between their centers. In this case, the distance between spheres B and C is given as d = 4cm, and the distance between spheres A and B is L - d = 8cm.

To calculate the force on sphere B by the person moving it, we can use the equation W = Fd, where W is the work done, F is the force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. In this case, the force exerted by the person is equal to the weight of sphere B, which can be calculated as mg, where g is the acceleration due to gravity. Therefore, the work done by the person is given by W = mgd = (0.01kg)(9.8m/s^2)(0.04m) = 3.92mJ.

To calculate the net gravitational force on sphere B due to spheres A and C, we need to consider the individual forces exerted by each sphere and then use vector addition to find the resultant force. The force exerted by sphere A on B is given by F = Gm1m2/r^2 = (6.67e-11)(0.08kg)(0.01kg)/(0.08m)^2 = 8.34e-11N. Similarly, the force exerted by sphere C on B is F = (6.67e-11)(0.02kg)(0.01kg)/(0.04m)^2 = 3.34e-11N. These two forces are in opposite directions, so we can use the vector addition formula, Fnet = √(F1^2 + F2

1. What is a gravitation multiple particle system?

A gravitation multiple particle system is a collection of multiple particles that interact with each other through the force of gravity. This system is governed by the laws of gravitation, which describe the attraction between objects with mass.

2. How does the force of gravity affect a multiple particle system?

The force of gravity acts between all particles in the system, causing them to attract each other. This force is dependent on the masses of the particles and the distance between them.

3. What is the role of mass in a gravitation multiple particle system?

Mass plays a crucial role in a gravitation multiple particle system as it determines the strength of the gravitational force between particles. The larger the mass of a particle, the greater its gravitational pull on other particles.

4. Can a gravitation multiple particle system have stable orbits?

Yes, a gravitation multiple particle system can have stable orbits if the particles are in a circular or elliptical motion around a central mass. This is known as a stable planetary system, like our own solar system.

5. How is the motion of a gravitation multiple particle system calculated?

The motion of a gravitation multiple particle system is calculated using Newton's laws of motion and the law of gravitation. These laws allow for the prediction of the positions and velocities of the particles in the system at any given time.