1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational field intensity (help)

1. Jul 7, 2009 #1
    I have this assignment in physics class and I'm stuck on this 1 question.

What we were doing: We were hanging 0.10kg, 0.20kg weights etc.. on a newton scale and we were recording the force of gravity. For 0.10kg I recorded 1 N, 0.20kg was 2 N, and so on until 1kg was 10 N.

So the question is: Write and equation relating force of gravity, mass, and the numerical value of the gravitational field intensity of Earth from this activity.

I was thinking Fnet = ma, so 1 N = 0.10kg a. Probably way off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2009 #2
    Hints:

Can you think of a simple arithmetic expression that always remains constant for any of the experiments you did? For example, is the product of the mass and the force a constant for all the experiments? Is the ratio of the mass and force always constant? No need to think about the sum or difference--you never add or subtract values of different units! (You don't add apples and seconds!)

Once you've discovered an expression that remains constant for all the experiments, imagine what would happen on a planet that had, say, twice Earth's gravity and how you'd need to change your expression so that it worked on that planet. Then think of how you might add one more variable to the expression, who's value would indicate the gravity of the planet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook