1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational Field Strength Help

1. Oct 4, 2008 #1
    Hello Everyone, I've been trying to get the answer to this problem for ages now and I just can't match my answer with the one in the back of the textbook. I hope you can let me know what I'm doing wrong.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the gravitational field strength at a place 220 km above Earth's surface, the altitude of many piloted space flights.

2. Relevant equations
    Fg = mg
    Fg = Gm₁m₂/d²

3. The attempt at a solution
    d = 6.60 x 10³ km
    G = 6.67 x 10-¹¹ N.m²/kg²
    m₂ = 5.98 x 10²⁴ kg
    g = ? N/kg

Fg = mg = Gm₁m₂/d²
    mg/m = Gm₁m₂/d²/m
    g = Gm₂/d²
    g = (6.67 x 10-¹¹ N.m²/kg²)(5.98 x 10²⁴ kg)/((6.60 x 10³ km)²)

And when I do this I always get the wrong answer when I compare it with the one in the back of the textbook. The answer in the back of the textbook is 9.1 N/kg [down].

If anyone here could please help me with this, that would be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2008 #2
    Equation looks fine to me, I solved it and got 9.18 N/kg
    what did you get?
  4. Oct 4, 2008 #3
    Thanks, I guess I was doing it right, I just forgot to convert the distance in to meters.
  5. Oct 4, 2008 #4
    oh of course, how could I overlook that. I didn't follow your equation, I did it myself. I should have checked your equation more thoroughly!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?