Gravitational force for a ball and particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
PKay
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How far from a very small 110kg ball would a particle have to be placed so that the ball pulled on the particle just as hard as the Earth does?


Homework Equations



Fg= gMm/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I used the equation and plugged in the numbers for the ball and the earth, but then I realized that I needed to use the mass for the particle. However, I don't know what the mass for the particle is.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It does not require the mass of the particle.
 
It's your choice..if you do that, you can see it cancels out ultimately.
 
Thanks! I see it now... I end up getting R= R^2 * Mball/Mearth I'm hoping I'm in the right direction.
 
Whoops. I'm sorry. I forgot to square root that. Thanks so much for your help! Now to tackle the other 2 monstrous problems.