Gravitational force on inclined plane

In summary, the problem involves finding the component of the gravitational force acting down on an inclined plane with a given weight and angle. After attempting to use the formula m x g x cos(degree), the answer was incorrect. The suggestion to draw a free body diagram and consider the geometry of the situation was given. It was clarified that the component of the gravitational force refers to the normal force, which is perpendicular to the inclined plane. The final calculation of 27.1N x 9.8 x cos(43.2) leads to the correct answer of 193.6N for the normal force.
Joe91090

Homework Statement

You place a box weighing 265.5N on an inclined plane that makes a 43.2 degree angle with the horizontal. Compute the component of the gravitaltional force acting down on the inclined plane.

Homework Equations

m x g x cos(degree)

The Attempt at a Solution

265.5 x 9.8 x cos(43.2)

The answer came out incorrect. I think I calculating the wrong force the question confuses me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try drawing the picture. You need to think the geometry through rather than just trying to plug numbers into formulas.

still very confused do you mean a free body diagram ?

An FBD should do the job. Perhaps you are confused by the wording. The words, "component ... acting down on the inclined plane" refers to the force normal (perpendicular) to the plane.

So wouldn't the Normal force be the same as the mass because the inclined plane is holding it up ?

Which direction is the weight?

straight down ?

since when is mass measured in Newtons?

thats what I am saying wouldn't the Normal force be W=mg ?

ok so.. 265.5 = m 9.8

m = 27.1N

27.1 x 9.8 x cos(43.2) = 193.6 N = Fn ?

m = 27.1N
Newton's aren't a unit of mass

Otherwise, it looks ok to me.

193.6N isn't the correct answer I am still stumped

What is the gravitational force on an inclined plane?

The gravitational force on an inclined plane is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the earth. It is dependent on the mass of the object and the angle of the incline.

How is the gravitational force calculated on an inclined plane?

The gravitational force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula F = mg sinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the incline.

How does the angle of the incline affect the gravitational force?

The angle of the incline directly affects the gravitational force. As the angle increases, the force decreases. This is because the component of the force acting parallel to the incline decreases as the angle increases, while the component acting perpendicular to the incline remains constant.

What is the relationship between gravitational force and the weight of an object on an inclined plane?

The gravitational force on an inclined plane is directly proportional to the weight of the object. This means that as the weight of the object increases, the gravitational force also increases.

How does the surface of the inclined plane affect the gravitational force?

The surface of the inclined plane does not affect the gravitational force, as it is dependent on the mass and angle of the incline. However, the friction between the object and the surface may affect the motion of the object on the inclined plane.