Calculating Masses Using Gravitational Force Equations

In summary, F = Gm1m2/r^2 is a mathematical equation that relates the masses of two objects. The equation can be solved for the two masses if one knows the values for the other object's mass and the distance between the objects.
ELLE_AW
Homework Statement
Two celestial bodies form an isolated system in a remote region in space. When they are separated by a distance of 5000m, and they attract each other with a force of 2.67 N. If the total mass of the system is 2.5 x 10^9, then what is the mass of each celestial body?
Relevant Equations
F=Gm1m2/r^2
F=Gm1m2/r^2
2.67 = (6.67x10^-11)(m1xm2)/25000000
M1xM2 = 1 x 10^18
M2 = 1x10^18/M1 (Equation 1)

From the question stem, we know M1 + M2 = 2.5x10^9 (Equation 2)

So, substituting Equation 1 into Equation 2 we get:
1x10^18/m1 + m1 = 2.5 x 10^9

I'M STUCK FROM HERE ONWARDS... in the solutions manual they show that the m1 gets squared and you end up with a quadratic equation that you have to solve to get the two values for the masses. But, where does the squaring come in? I don't get it.

NEVERMIND, I got it! Just rusty algebra.. haha!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Either there is something missing from the problem statement or you need to make an assumption about the masses involved, such as the two being equal, if you want to arrive at a single numerical answer for the masses. Otherwise there would be an infinite number of combinations of mass values that would satisfy the given constraints.

If the solution involves m1 being squared then I strongly suspect that they expect you to assume that m1 = m2.

Can you provide any other information from the original problem statement as it was presented to you?

gneill said:
Either there is something missing from the problem statement or you need to make an assumption about the masses involved, such as the two being equal, if you want to arrive at a single numerical answer for the masses. Otherwise there would be an infinite number of combinations of mass values that would satisfy the given constraints.
It seems quote solvable. You have two equations and two unknowns.
$$m_1+m_2=m_{tot}$$ $$\frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}=F$$
##F##, ##m_{tot}## and ##r## are all given. So you solve the first equation for ##m_1## in terms of ##m_2## and the second equation turns into a quadratic in ##m_1##.

By inspection, the two solutions (if any) will be mirror images of one another.

jbriggs444 said:
By inspection, the two solutions (if any) will be mirror images of one another.
And will there be specific values for either, or will there be an expression relating the two values?

gneill said:
And will there be specific values for either, or will there be an expression relating the two values?
Specific values for both. Once you solve the quadratic for ##m_1##, you can easily find ##m_2##.

I concede your point. There are indeed a pair of mass values that either body can have that will resolve the problem. (I think I may have been dozing while I posted before. My apologies to @ELLE_AW). Cheers, jbriggs.

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a force of attraction between two objects that have mass. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G * (m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

3. How does distance affect gravitational force?

According to the formula, gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects. This means that as the distance between two objects increases, their gravitational force decreases.

4. What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravitational force?

Mass is the measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the force of gravity acting on an object. Gravitational force is directly proportional to an object's mass, meaning that the more mass an object has, the greater its gravitational force will be. However, weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force acting on the object, such as on different planets.

5. Can gravitational force be canceled out?

No, gravitational force cannot be canceled out. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is always present between two objects with mass. However, other forces may counteract gravitational force, such as the normal force of an object resting on a surface, but the gravitational force itself cannot be eliminated.