1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational forces and multiple bodies problem

1. Oct 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Four 335 kg spherical masses are placed on the corners of a square at coordinates (0, 0), (0, 1.50), (1.50, 0) and (1.50, 1.50) where all coordinates are in meters. What is the net gravitational force on the mass at (0, 0) due to the other three masses? Express your answer in polar notation with the angle in degrees.

2. Relevant equations

Fg=GMm/r^2
    A^2+B^2=C^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I worked to find the distance from (0,0) to (1.5,1.5) and it was 2.1213 (using trig), I got that the angle is 45 degrees. But for some reason I am having trouble adding up the vectors to get the correct net force. I understand that we learned the tail-tip concept. The answer space is also only giving me one blank to fill in for the net force, this doesn't make sense to me, because if i am supposed to put the answer in polar notation i should give the vector an x and a y component, right? Any help with this will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

With polar notation you specify a magnitude and an angle.

4. Oct 12, 2011 #3
    Oh yea, you are right! Thanks a bunch! I need to sleep more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook