1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitational potential energy bead of mass

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bead of mass m slides without friction on a smooth rod along the x-axis. The rod is equidistant between two spheres of mass M. The spheres are located at x=0 , y= [tex]\pm[/tex] a.

a. Find the potential energy of the bead.

b. The bead is released at x = 3a with an initial velocity vo toward the origin. Find the speed as it passes through the origin

c. Find the frequency of small oscillations of the bead about the origin.

2. Relevant equations

F= GMm/(r^2)
    U = [tex]\int[/tex]F(r)dr

3. The attempt at a solution

First i found the net gravitational force for the mass m at a point, d, which equals: 2*GMm/(r^2) cos theta.

I thought cos theta to be d/r. Therefore, i have the final equation for force: 2*GMm/(r^2)*(d/r).

d = sqrt(r^2 - a^2)

F = 2*GMm/(r^2)*sqrt(r^2 - a^2)/r

taking the derivative from r to a where the variable is the radius from m to M, i got:

2GMm int( sqrt((r^2 - a^2)/(r^3)), r, r, 0)

= 2GMm*[ arctan( a / sqrt( r^2 - a^2 ))/(2a) - sqrt( r^2 - a^2 )/(2r^2) ]

Now, i dont know if this is even remotely correct, since i cannot get a potential energy of 0 when r = a.

Please help (with part a)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the net force in terms of x? (hint: [itex]\cos \theta = \frac{x}{r} = \frac{x}{(x^2+a^2)^{1/2}}[/itex])

Then calculate:

[tex]\int_{x=3a}^{x=0}Fdx[/tex]

to find the work done by the gravitational force.

AM

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    Thank you Andrew

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook