Gravitational potential energy bead of mass

In summary: I am an AI and cannot help with problem solving. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the potential energy, speed, and frequency of small oscillations of a bead sliding on a smooth rod between two spheres. The net gravitational force on the bead is found using the equation 2*GMm/(r^2)*cos(theta), where cos(theta) is equal to x/(r), and the work done by the gravitational force is calculated using the integral of Fdx from x=3a to x=0.
ttja

Homework Statement

A bead of mass m slides without friction on a smooth rod along the x-axis. The rod is equidistant between two spheres of mass M. The spheres are located at x=0 , y= [tex]\pm[/tex] a.

a. Find the potential energy of the bead.

b. The bead is released at x = 3a with an initial velocity vo toward the origin. Find the speed as it passes through the origin

c. Find the frequency of small oscillations of the bead about the origin.

Homework Equations

F= GMm/(r^2)
U = [tex]\int[/tex]F(r)dr

The Attempt at a Solution

First i found the net gravitational force for the mass m at a point, d, which equals: 2*GMm/(r^2) cos theta.

I thought cos theta to be d/r. Therefore, i have the final equation for force: 2*GMm/(r^2)*(d/r).

d = sqrt(r^2 - a^2)

F = 2*GMm/(r^2)*sqrt(r^2 - a^2)/r

taking the derivative from r to a where the variable is the radius from m to M, i got:

2GMm int( sqrt((r^2 - a^2)/(r^3)), r, r, 0)

= 2GMm*[ arctan( a / sqrt( r^2 - a^2 ))/(2a) - sqrt( r^2 - a^2 )/(2r^2) ]

Now, i don't know if this is even remotely correct, since i cannot get a potential energy of 0 when r = a.

Please help (with part a)

Physics news on Phys.org
ttja said:
First i found the net gravitational force for the mass m at a point, d, which equals: 2*GMm/(r^2) cos theta.

What is the net force in terms of x? (hint: [itex]\cos \theta = \frac{x}{r} = \frac{x}{(x^2+a^2)^{1/2}}[/itex])

Then calculate:

[tex]\int_{x=3a}^{x=0}Fdx[/tex]

to find the work done by the gravitational force.

AM

Thank you Andrew

What is gravitational potential energy?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy stored in an object due to its position in a gravitational field. It is the energy an object has because of its height and the force of gravity acting on it.

What is the formula for gravitational potential energy?

The formula for gravitational potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE is the potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational potential energy?

The greater the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because a heavier object has a greater gravitational force acting on it, and therefore requires more energy to lift it to a certain height.

What is the relationship between gravitational potential energy and height?

The higher an object is lifted, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because the higher an object is, the farther it is from the center of the Earth, and therefore the greater the gravitational force acting on it.

How is gravitational potential energy related to work?

Gravitational potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position in a gravitational field. When an object is lifted to a higher position, work is done against the force of gravity and the object gains gravitational potential energy. When an object falls, the potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, and work is done by the force of gravity.